Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSD Student Pulled Out Of Class, Questioned After Range Visit with Dad

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Obviously, I support the kid's message/stance, and his subsequent treatment would warrant some pretty harsh scrutiny of the BC school board and BCSO if he were my son. I'm hoping the family presses the issue, and a certain pro-gun organization or law firm helps take up the flag if what the young man said in that article are true.

That said, what you post on social media is available for public consumption. It can and will be called into question by persons and entities with opposing world views. If you enjoy or revel in that kind of drama and confrontation, cool, rock on, because it will be your reality, but nobody should act surprised when it happens to them.
    You're right, of course... But why should it be this way and is hiding your disagreement with these groupthink bullies going to lead to things getting better or worse?

And to make the situation even more discouraging.... Contemplating creating an organization antithetical to Mom's Demand Action (or whatever), the first thing that comes to mind are the early-adopter, in-your-face, counterproductive morons one would need to alienate in order to have a credible organization. Discouraging is an understatement.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I suppose the picture of me standing in front of a B-27 target in a college newspaper story about how I took my advanced stat class to the range for the end of the semester party, would not go over well in the social media of today. That was in the 90's.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Mods here are shit. Just sayin'.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

There anything more to this? Florida and guns are synonymous, either the school is hyper paranoid (possible) or the kid is a typical high schooler exaggerating and lying (also possible).

Forgive my suspicion but working around high school kids I assume they're complete and utter twits until proven different.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Watch the Crowder interview. Kid is not a twit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The kid is no twit but from everything I've read or heard, the entire Broward County Sheriff's department are.

It's obvious this is retribution for daring to be a voice of dissent against the anti 2A crowd.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 04-24-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    There anything more to this? Florida and guns are synonymous, either the school is hyper paranoid (possible) or the kid is a typical high schooler exaggerating and lying (also possible).
    It's the former. He's basically the Anti-Hogg, calling out the school, the CBroward County Sheriffs Dept, and the FBI for blaming guns and the NRA instead of addressing their own failures.

A gal in Nebraska (IIRC) posted a Twitter challenge, "How many re-tweets to get you (Kushev) to be my prom date?" He pulled what should have been an absurd number out of the air, and wound up flying to NE for her prom.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    You're right, of course... But why should it be this way and is hiding your disagreement with these groupthink bullies going to lead to things getting better or worse?

And to make the situation even more discouraging.... Contemplating creating an organization antithetical to Mom's Demand Action (or whatever), the first thing that comes to mind are the early-adopter, in-your-face, counterproductive morons one would need to alienate in order to have a credible organization. Discouraging is an understatement.
    I can see how it comes off that way, but I don't personally view it as hiding. IMO, sharing our personal details, life, opinions, and world views with the general public on a platform like FaceBook and Twitter is a very poor idea. It's something people do for entertainment and pleasure, but often results in what I consider unnecessary strife both personally and/or professionally. So, for those that choose to do it, they shouldn't be surprised if and when they are targeted for their opinions and world views. It's just the society we live in. So I don't choose to "hide", I just choose not to openly share unnecessarily with those who enjoy and seek confrontation and social justice according to their world views. I believe there is a difference. That said, I will share and participate in a group of like-minded individuals, such as PF (some people consider discussion boards to be social media), because 99% of those here are generally within agreement, and even if they are not, they're not so contrarian that they'll lash out or target me personally and professionally for sport or spite. Hope that makes sense.

And I apologize if I was vague, but I'm not suggesting that a new organization be made, but rather the parents, with the help of a pre-existing organization or law firm if need be, press forward with how and why this young man was treated the way he was. IMO, there needs to be some clear policies put into place at MSDHS, or current policies revised if need be, that prevent minors from being grilled and intimidated in this way without the presence of a parent. Then again, this is another example of what "protection" looks like.

Personally, I'd be on the phone with NRA-ILA looking for the most prominent law firm recommendation they could make. Trying to strong-arm and bully me is one thing, doing it to one of my children without my knowledge is an entirely different thing, and something I take great exception to.

Site Supporter
    I completely agree that sharing every aspect of our lives on social media is not the smartest move, and I have told many people that 1) there is no such thing as a privacy setting on the Internet, and 2) if it is free, you are not the customer, you are the product.

However, these posts are clearly non-threatening, benign, pro-2A stuff. No reasonable person reading them could possibly interpret them as threatening. To have subjected the student to this level of harassment without even the slightest hint of illegal activity is viewpoint-based harassment, pure and simple. It is also a clear violation of his first amendment rights.

If I lived and practiced in FL, I would seriously consider offeromg to take that student's case pro bono. If the same thing happened to my child, the police officers involved would very quickly have a second conversation on the same subject with me, during which I would make it quite clear that my kids are going to continue to shoot and post, and that if it ever happens again, they will be defendants in a suit for violation of civil rights.

I hope the kid's parents have instructed him to simply exercise his right to remain silent and to have counsel present the next time they decide to question him. Simply respond "Please show me exactly what I did that you believe to be illegal."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I can see how it comes off that way, but I don't personally view it as hiding. IMO, sharing our personal details, life, opinions, and world views with the general public on a platform like FaceBook and Twitter is a very poor idea.
    My previous post was (in my head, anyway) a tangent from your starting point... but I should have been more clear.

I was lamenting the reality that the anti's are using social media very effectively. To rally, to groupthink, to crush opposition. And by allowing them free reign in that medium, it's easy to see why they continue to gather acolytes and become bolder and more confident in their positions. How do we counter that? How do we demand fair play for a teenager getting shaken down by agents of the state for doing completely legal teenager things? How is that not chilling? In what world is that behavior not worthy of being opposed? But the anti's effectively own the battlefield. It feels like hiding when what I'd rather do is demand facts and truth and fidelity to rule of law and common decency, all of which seem to have been sacrificed on the alter of progressivism.

That's what was rattling around in my head earlier.

Back to your point......
    Nobody in my house had a FB account until my wife needed one for work last year. Other than her work purpose, it's been nothing but regret for her.
    My youngest now needs a FB account, because a group that they very much want to participate in uses FB to manage the group.
    We'll be having another discussion about keeping the personal information and opinion to a minimum.
    I could not agree with you any more wholeheartedly on this.

Apologies for my not being clearer earlier.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List