Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 dead, 16 injured as pedestrians struck 'one after one' in north Toronto van attack

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    The TPS training schools also replaced role-playing scenarios that involved the use of paint guns with training guns that shoot blanks. The reason: The paint gun scenarios had required extensive protective gear that made these sessions feel less immediate for the participants. A key theme of the new type of training, according to one front-line officer who recently received his annual retraining, has to do with time. For years, the goal in such high-stakes encounters was to arrest or take out the perpetrator as quickly as possible. Today, cops are trained to do everything they can to slow things down.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.62b71a1fa588
    Name:  736EF624-FF38-4219-980A-8DCF08773EEE.jpeg
Views: 364
Size:  47.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It now seems that he drove that van into a crowd of people because he couldn't get laid.

I wish that was a joke.
    Earlier today, I actually had to look up "incel." Sort of like "loser," only with more entitlement and vitriol.

Nothing surprises me anymore.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 04-25-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The more details I learn about this incident, the more it just becomes a sad story about a bunch of people senselessly taken out by a pathetic man with obvious psychological issues. Although I guess that's the story of most mass killings, really. In fact, now that I think about it, in some ways the one thing I'll credit this guy with is that he may have been unusually accurate in terms of assessing his own motives. I think most mass killers are, deep down, motivated by their social-sexual inadequacies. They just tell themselves that they are soldiers for a cause because it's a hell of a lot more glorious to be a warrior for jihad or whatever than just some surplus male without enough desirable characteristics to get a scrap of action. Or the cause itself becomes appealing because it explains away their low status, whether on an individual level, or a national level, or whatever.

There is definitely a huge groundswell of support for the officer who apprehended him. I have mixed feelings about the reluctance to shoot, probably shared by most people here. If he was able to positively recognize that the attacker was unarmed, then it was a great call and he deserves all the praise he's getting. If he was just hoping he wouldn't get shot, then I think the restraint was excessive and lauding it is dangerous.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    ...There is definitely a huge groundswell of support for the officer who apprehended him. I have mixed feelings about the reluctance to shoot, probably shared by most people here. If he was able to positively recognize that the attacker was unarmed, then it was a great call and he deserves all the praise he's getting. If he was just hoping he wouldn't get shot, then I think the restraint was excessive and lauding it is dangerous.
    My first thought, upon seeing the video, was for the officer's wife. (Can you imagine?) If the officer's wife is ok with it... maybe it's ok.

GLENN HANNA: Why didn't he shoot? The Toronto cop who did everything right

When faced with the threat of death or grievous bodily harm, a police officer is authorized to use force to protect themselves or others, up to and including deadly force. With this authority comes significant responsibility. Just because you’re authorized to use deadly force doesn’t mean you always should. There are many times when police officers could legally use deadly force, but don’t.
    http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion...erything-right

One small change in the circumstances, and the outcome could have been very different.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1565004-opinion-why-didnt-he-shoot-the-toronto-cop-who-did-everything-right

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Earlier today, I actually had to look up "incel." Sort of like "loser," only with more entitlement and vitriol.

Nothing surprises me anymore.
    I know a couple of women who have run for office recently. Both have received screeds on their FB pages from people telling them that they should go home, cook, and make babies. The people telling them that are men.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I know a couple of women who have run for office recently. Both have received screeds on their FB pages from people telling them that they should go home, cook, and make babies. The people telling them that are men.
    How can you tell? Can't someone set up a facebook account and pretend to be something other than what they are? Like a Russian pretending to be an American? (I've never been on facebook so I don't know.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I suppose that's possible, but both women said that their harassers were men and I have no reason to doubt their word.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have no idea what this tangent is about but if you're getting into politics be prepared for the most brain dead members of society to make Facebook comments about you. Part of the territory.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I have no idea what this tangent is about....
    It’s about the clowns in the Women-Haters Club.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

User Tag List