Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42, best Glock pistol there is

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    In all honesty, my decision was based on info that George posted and tests I saw on YouTube.
    To be more specific, this was the info from George I was referring to.

Lehigh field pistol thread

My intent was not to imply that George had tested and endorsed the .380 loads with this bullet, just in case anyone took it that way.

The youtube tests, FWIW, were specifically on the Lehigh and Underwood loadings of the Extreme Penetrator bullet in .380 ACP.

I use the 1100 FPS loading, item #643.

Just like everything else in my G42, they hit a touch left.

Sorry if I created any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    My brace of G42s have been my most reliable Glocks. Just over 4000 rounds through them.
    4k through a legit "pocket 380" platform, that's impressive on many levels. Thanks Glock, for providing us with a reliable pocket 380 that can actually survive a purposeful shooting schedule.

Thanks, and I didn’t take it wrong. I am in a position to comment on function, but as to terminal ballistics, I leave that to DOCGKR!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    4k through a legit "pocket 380" platform, that's impressive on many levels. Thanks Glock, for providing us with a reliable pocket 380 that can actually survive a purposeful shooting schedule.
    This is my 2016 models report:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ound-Challenge

Two thousand rounds, no lube, two malfunctions, both bad ammo.

My early 2014 model had a few premature slide lock engagements in the first 300 rounds. I dremeled the slide lock slightly to change its shape then it finished the 2k challenge with 1 failure to ignite a primer. Not too bad. I didn't write it up.

My wife and I have four 42's. The one that I carry has about 3500 or maybe over 4000 rounds thru it. This one was test fired by Glock in March of 2014 and has the older slide stop lever. I filed it using my wife's first 42 slide stop lever as a model. Hers was test fired a week later and had the updated slide stop. Once I got it filed properly, I haven't had any issues using longer nosed bullets such as Freedom Munitions 100gr plated bullets. I have not had any malfunctions with this gun that weren't ammo related. Those ammo related malfunctions were due to the loads being too lightly loaded. Two of our 42's have had failures to feed with Blazer aluminum. They seem to be a bit finicky with the aluminum case, but those failures only occurred perhaps once or so every several hundred rounds. The fourth 42 would not feed Freedom Munitions XTP load. It required an extremely firm grip to get it to function perfectly. However, after the feed ramp was polished, it would feed that ammo with an extremely light weak hand grip. That one worked perfectly with Blazer aluminum as does mine. The other three have never been grip sensitive as long as a decently powerful load is being used, a 95gr FMJ at over 800fps for example. When the loads get down near 750fps then they become grip sensitive or won't function at all. I know those velocities from chronographing some Speer Lawman that had some very large ES with some very weak loads that were as slow as 719fps.

I chronographed 10 rounds of the Freedom Munitions XTP load yesterday out of my oldest 42. I ordered this batch from them over two years ago, so they may not be loading it with the same powder charge or excellent Starline brass. I was pleasantly surprised with this load. High was 1014, low 975, average 987, extreme spread 39, and standard deviation was 11. I did not note weather conditions, temperature was probably in the low 70's.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Even though I've never once seriously considered buying a .380, this thread has me reconsidering... particularly if my girlfriend's nascent interest in firearms continues to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Even though I've never once seriously considered buying a .380, this thread has me reconsidering... particularly if my girlfriend's nascent interest in firearms continues to grow.
    Do it. Seriously, it's a great little pistol. Just picked one up due to this forum and I don't regret it. Yeah, it's a marginal caliber, but you can make some super fast and very accurate shots.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew78 View Post
    Do it. Seriously, it's a great little pistol. Just picked one up due to this forum and I don't regret it. Yeah, it's a marginal caliber, but you can make some super fast and very accurate shots.
    I'm actually slightly less worried about terminal effectiveness, more miffed that .380 Auto is expensive for what it is and is not a caliber I stock otherwise.

Site Supporter
    The biggest mistake I made with my wife was focusing too much on minimum caliber and not enough on carry something. .380 might not be ideal but it is a lot closer to ideal than it is to nothing. I would get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

You know that thing about taking new shooters to the range and, among other topics covered, letting them shoot a variety of common guns to see for themselves what they like? I’ve "sold" 4 G42s to beginning female shooters that way since the thing came out. It’s a hard gun for beginners with small hands not to like compared to G19/26, revolvers, etc.

User Tag List