Thread: How low can you go?

How low can you go?

When shooting prone with a bipod on a level surface, with the barrel relatively level to align with the target, how low can you comfortably go?

I find that between my build and somewhat restricted neck flexibility, having the barrel about 10 inches off the ground is about as low as I can get without discomfort interfering with the shot. Obviously the lower the better for stability, and I have seen some people get really low, but I'm curious what the rifle shooters here find as the best compromise between comfort and stability when it comes to setting bipod height.

TIA for any insight you can share!

As long as my ejection port has 2 finger thicknesses between the bolt and the deck, I'm rocking and rolling!

I have not shot off a bipod in a decade+, but I use 30 round mags as a monopod, whatever that amounts to.

One reason some prefer higher optic mounts. It really sucks for the guys that need glasses to see a reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    It really sucks for the guys that need glasses to see a reticle.
    This is a great point. I've worn corrective lenses since grade school and always adjusted the scope diopter with glasses on. A few years ago, just for grins and giggles, I adjusted it without glasses and discovered a sharper reticle and clearer view through the scope. I now shoot scopes without the glasses, which totally solves all the issues associated with wearing prescription glasses and eye alignment while prone.

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Good video, confirms I'm on the right track establishing optimum bipod height and getting my prone position tuned. Frank has plenty of very informative videos, I try to watch and learn from as many of them as possible. This video on bipod height along with those on body alignment, proper strong-hand grip and bipod loading have helped me build a prone position that I'm finally happy with. I'll be spending some range time this weekend putting it all to test.

User Tag List