Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antioch Waffle House Hero: James Shaw, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I may be wrong here, but it seems I've only been hearing about the "hero" and the "villain" and virtually nothing about the victims.

I realize it's a feel good story for the media regarding the protagonist in the event...but normally I see a lot more coverage regarding those whose lives were cut short.

I find it somewhat disturbing...but as I say, I haven't been glued to the TV.
    The victims probably don't fit the affluent, white school children profile the media loves to turn into a human tragedy of epic magnitude. Most of them were probably like Mr. Shaw: a member of an ethnic minority in the middle or lower middle class. That makes them page twelve, not front page material. In other words, if it's white it's up front, if it's black it's in the back. Sound familiar?

If Mr. Shaw had used a legally possessed weapon to end the confrontation the incident would have garnered a mention on the morning news, if that.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1322 reads:

Note section (a), which reads "A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed . . ." The quoted statute is found in Part 17, which is the portion of Title 39 which defines weapons offenses in Tennessee. Note that this is not legal advice or a suggestion of a course of action, but simply a posting of what the law in Tennessee says and where that law is found.

ThatÂ’s the one. I would make a minor correction that it is part 13 but otherwise I completely agree with you. I am an attorney in Tennessee but the only legal advice I would give is to get a permit if you want to carry a handgun. The purpose of bringing up the above defense was mainly to help show that, in Tennessee at least, someone using a handgun in self defense is not frowned upon under the law in fact the legislature has provided defenses for such actions. Now what the media or gun control advocates might say is completely outside any area of expertise I might have. Also the above is a defense not a promise that you would not get charged with a crime, spend time in jail, have to make bond, miss a lot of work, and spend a lot of money trying to use the defense to avoid conviction. Like I said before get the permit if you want to carry a handgun. No attorney client relationship is intended to be created by the above just some general legal information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    ...A couple years back, TN passed a law (SB1736) that requires any posted businesses are fully liable for any deaths or injuries that take place on their premises from violence, where permitted citizens are disarmed. It also granted civil immunity from prosecution to businesses that aren’t posted. Thus, many (most) places removed their signs. The few hold-outs seem to be corporate places that have accepted the burden of covering the damages from any disarmed permit holders that are killed or injured...
    So, with the posting of no firearms, is the Waffle House on the hook for the deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    So, with the posting of no firearms, is the Waffle House on the hook for the deaths?
    I believe, only if the victims had CCW permits.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Unlikely. He will be deemed crazy and therefore not executed. Quite possibly just put in a mental ward cause he doesn’t understand what he did. Till the next round of budget cuts sets him free. All cured and safe of course.

Wonder what will come if his dad? Hopefully he gets some charges tossed his way, but I won’t be holding my breath.
    Regardless of what becomes of dad - the law in Illinois will undoubtedly change, such that a person who cannot possess firearms will only be able to get them back after jumping through hoops or they will be destroyed. I guarantee this change will be introduced in current legislation before month's end.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Regardless of what becomes of dad - the law in Illinois will undoubtedly change, such that a person who cannot possess firearms will only be able to get them back after jumping through hoops or they will be destroyed. I guarantee this change will be introduced in current legislation before month's end.
    Without a doubt, and I bet five other states simultaneously introduce something similar. All of them will of course include additional anti-gun language to start.

It’s rather amusing to note the irony regarding the praise of Mr. Shaw going unarmed vs an AR-15 by individuals who were not long ago defending the cowardice of the BCSO deputy in Parkland, stating that he was severely outmatched by one teen with such a rifle despite being armed with a firearm.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Mr. Shaw continues to be a shining example of a human being, launching a fundraiser for the victims of the attack.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/wa...dme/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Mr. Shaw continues to be a shining example of a human being, launching a fundraiser for the victims of the attack.
    Simply fantastic.

"You are my hero," state Rep. Jason Powell said, "and Tennessee's hero."

Not to disagree with Rep. Powell, but James Shaw is an example to the world.

I am sure his deeds will not go unrewarded.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List