Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antioch Waffle House Hero: James Shaw, Jr.

Antioch Waffle House Hero: James Shaw, Jr.

"Run, hide, fight."

Mr. Shaw couldn't do #1 or #2, so he did #3. Evidently the muzzle of the rifle was pointed down; "[he] saw the opportunity and...took it."

"...rushed the suspected shooter, disarmed him and threw the AR-15 rifle he was carrying over the counter." Incredible job!

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ter/540061002/

Site Supporter
    Wow.

Steam is pouring off me. I wish I’d been there. Not that smothered and covered are in my diet, but man. They wouldn’t be looking for the guy.

The shooter was in the process of reloading and the customer timed it right. Customer said he thought he was going to get shot anyway and that he wasn't attempting to be a hero.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Site Supporter
    Regardless of intentions, he was a hero. I hope they find this evil punk soon.

Would the Waffle House Hero, who defended the surviving customers by snatching the assailant's rifle away, still be a hero if he were an Armed Private Citizen and had simply shot the wacko? Or would he be under investigation for violating the Waffle House gun free zone?

He would surely be pilloried by the media for "taking the law into his own hands" and demonstrated against by S.W.I.N.E. (Al Capp's Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything.)
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 04-23-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Antioch Waffle House Hero: James Shaw, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Would the Waffle House Hero, who defended the surviving customers by snatching the assailant's rifle away, still be a hero if he were an Armed Private Citizen and had simply shot the wacko? Or would he be under investigation for violating the Waffle House gun free zone?

He would surely be pilloried by the media for "taking the law into his own hands" and demonstrated against by S.W.I.N.E. (Al Capp's Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything.)
    I don’t know about all that. TN is pretty pro-gun, and with the mass shootings we’ve had here, people are fed up. I don’t think shooting an active killer would be looked at as anything other than a positive.

A couple years back, TN passed a law (SB1736) that requires any posted businesses are fully liable for any deaths or injuries that take place on their premises from violence, where permitted citizens are disarmed. It also granted civil immunity from prosecution to businesses that aren’t posted. Thus, many (most) places removed their signs. The few hold-outs seem to be corporate places that have accepted the burden of covering the damages from any disarmed permit holders that are killed or injured.

I haven’t been in a Waffle House since 2006, so I can’t attest to whether or not there are signs there. I’ve also not heard of anyone being prosecuted for carrying in posted businesses here.

civiliandefender.com
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 04-23-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Edited to remove statute inaccuracy on my part

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I don’t know about all that. TN is pretty pro-gun, and with the mass shootings we’ve had here, people are fed up. I don’t think shooting an active killer would be looked at as anything other than a positive.

A couple years back, TN passed a law (SB1736) that requires any posted businesses are fully liable for any deaths or injuries that take place on their premises from violence, where permitted citizens are disarmed. It also granted civil immunity from prosecution to businesses that aren’t posted. Thus, many (most) places removed their signs. The few hold-outs seem to be corporate places that have accepted the burden of covering the damages from any disarmed permit holders that are killed or injured.

I haven’t been in a Waffle House since 2006, so I can’t attest to whether or not there are signs there. I’ve also not heard of anyone being prosecuted for carrying in posted businesses here. It used to be, prior to the new law, that if you WERE carrying and were found out, the business would ask you to leave. If you refused, then LE could cite you for Criminal Trespass. There isn’t a, “30.06,” provision here like there is in Texas.

civiliandefender.com
    A person could be prosecuted under TCA 39-17-1359, not just for criminal trespassing. Class B misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

He would surely be pilloried by the media for "taking the law into his own hands"
    I think he'd get a pass on the first part. On the second, I doubt they could spin this enough to make him look bad, so they would have just ignored the whole thing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    A person could be prosecuted under TCA 39-17-1359, not just for criminal trespassing. Class B misdemeanor.
    Edited! Thanks!

civiliandefender.com

We need to buy Mr. Shaw ALL of the beer.

User Tag List