Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to coach new or untrained shooters?

One the most over-looked aspect of teaching a new shooter is the method of teaching. I've seen wayyy too many instructors try to teach new shooter all the fundamentals at once. Instead, break it down.
    Many have wondered why I do this. Well remember when you were in class, the efficient professors didn't teach a semesters worth of material in one sitting. They broke it down in little pieces so you understood little by little, piece by piece. At the end of the semester, so you have been paying attention, you will understand how everything works!

For example start off by teaching them stance, and grip. Let them fire off a few 10 round groups.

Then teach them trigger control and sights, Fire off another few 10 round groups.

I've found this to be incredibly effective and efficient. Starting from the first 10 round group, shooters will notice the groups get tighter and on target as you teach them the fundamentals piece by piece. Usually by the end of the day, I've found just about all the new shooters I teach get a "light bulb" moment as they visually see their groupings get better by focusing on the fundamentals.

Site Supporter

coaching new shooters

(1.) If they already have a weapon, or are considering a particular type, I like to have them shoot a similar .22 (if that's possible) so they can get some reps in and learn about sights and trigger control without having to battle recoil. (Recently a friend was interested in getting a CCW permit and an apppropriate weapon. One of his considerations was pocket carry. We took him out to the range with a variety of S&W Chief Special Revolvers. He did some shooting with a S&W 34 kit gun and then fired .38 target loads in a variety of different guns. He ended up buying a S&W 642.)
    I've found 100 rounds of centerfire is a good limit for new shooters -- usually about 75 rounds in they begin to get tired. How much .22 they can shoot without losing focus or getting fatigued is dependent on the individual.
    (2.) 8 inch paper plates at 7 yards work well as targets. So does an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.
    (3.) Different people learn in different ways. If they're willing to do a little reading, I usually loan them John Farnam's book on Defensive Handgun Shooting. (There are LOTS of good and average books out there right now). Tactical Pistol Shooting by Erik Lawrence is another good choice, and it has lots of crisp pictures in it too.
    (4.) Distributed practice is better than mass practice when learning new skills. A 100 rnd practice session every other week is usually better than trying to shoot a whole bunch all at once. (My normal practice session on an indoor range usually lasts 150-200 rounds and takes 60 to 90 minutes)
    (5.) As I get older I'm mellowing and I don't try to tell them everything they might want to know all at once. People need time to absorb all the good information you're giving them . . .

User Tag List