Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Glock 42. Go or no go?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cold-beer View Post
    Meh, I've actually killed a lot of stuff, so I tend to not listen to the online-commandos that won't leave their house without being prepared for a Hollywood type shootout like the poster you're referencing. 380 rounds like the high pressure Gold Dots or XTP rounds that Underwood sells, perform like low-ball JHP 9mm out of the 42's 3.25" barrel. They meet FBI standards in the 42, which means there is gobs of research saying they don't lack the penetration to reach your vitals even if they hit a bone in the process. More recent studies have shown that shot placement is pretty much all that matters with rounds that meet these minimum specifications, which is why so many LE agencies have gone back to 9mm. It's only recently that there have been commercial 380 rounds that consistently do meet these specifications, which is why some people still view the 380ACP as completely inadequate for self defense.
    Everyone else is being nice - you are either trolling or showing your ass. Don’t fuck with our dentist.

Wow, I learn something new every day; like I was not aware that serving in the military for over 2 decades, as well as graduating from a POST certified Police Academy qualified one as an "online-commando". Nor did I realize carrying a G19 and an extra mag qualifies as being prepared for a "Hollywood type shootout". That comment was especially interesting, as most of the guys I know from LAPD who participated in that seminal event express that being armed only with a handgun left one woefully under-prepared in the face of such an incident...

For folks who cannot use a 9 mm handgun for whatever reason, a G42 with reliable ball-type ammo is likely the best .380 option currently available.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Wow, I learn something new every day; like I was not aware that serving in the military for over 2 decades, as well as graduating from a POST certified Police Academy qualified one as an "online-commando". Nor did I realize carrying a G19 and an extra mag qualifies as being prepared for a "Hollywood type shootout". That comment was especially interesting, as most of the guys I know from LAPD who participated in that seminal event express that being armed only with a handgun left one woefully under-prepared in the face of such an incident...

For folks who cannot use a 9 mm handgun for whatever reason, a G42 with reliable ball-type ammo is likely the best .380 option currently available.
    I take it back.

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  54.0 KB

This gun is a pocket gun if you want it to be. It is an invisible IWB gun if you prefer or need that. It works great in a Smartcarry. It is a compromise that works.

It will never be as small/light as a P32/P3AT/LCP. So what? It is much more shootable and durable, and it’s small enough. Smaller, thinner, and lighter than my 642, which is very commonly carried as a pocket gun - I suspect most commonly carried that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cold-beer View Post
    It's a bit big for pocket carry unless you wear baggy pants or you're a big guy. I can pocket carry it in cargo shorts, but in business casual the LCP ll blows it away as far as concealability goes and it's just as accurate at typical defense shooting distances.
    For suit or dress pants you may want to do what I do--have a tailor deepen the pocket a bit--but not so much that a gun in a pocket holster carried in your pocket will bang you in the knee.

I have done this with a bunch of pants and typically carry a Kahr PM-9 in this manner with no problems (5.3" overall length).

Site Supporter
    I find no problem with some Dockers or LLBean cargo pants and a G42 or 642/432 J frame being comfortably carried. A G26 fits but is not comfy.

Despite all my knowledge and studied wisdom, I confess that on a 102 degree day, the G42 in a pocket holster and a reload in a suitable pocket pouch in the opposite side cargo pocket makes it out of the house. It is also my 'go to the doctor' rig where I have to ditch the gun because of signage. I prefer not to hang my pants with the holsters hanging from the them for the world to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
Views: 938
Size:  54.0 KB

This gun is a pocket gun if you want it to be. It is an invisible IWB gun if you prefer or need that. It works great in a Smartcarry. It is a compromise that works.

It will never be as small/light as a P32/P3AT/LCP. So what? It is much more shootable and durable, and it’s small enough. Smaller, thinner, and lighter than my 642, which is very commonly carried as a pocket gun - I suspect most commonly carried that way.
    Just wondering what type/brand of pocket holster that is. Any chance it has a thumb tab to help pull the gun out of it. Looks nice. And thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
    Just wondering what type/brand of pocket holster that is. Any chance it has a thumb tab to help pull the gun out of it. Looks nice. And thanks in advance.
Views: 714
Size:  30.5 KB

IIRC, this is a Vedder, and yes, it has a thumb push tab.

Could someone compare / contrast the current G42 against the features of the Gen 5 Glocks?

I mean, the things in the Gen 5’s like Glock Marksman Barrel, nDLC finish; that sort of thing. Basically, are any of these Gen 5 features in the G42?

Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Tom_Jones.

I’ve had a really good experience with my Ruger LCR and pocket carry so far. I like it a lot.

Just musing on a G42 as another dog walking/gym option.

And, SCD. And Glock. And 6+1 in a 17 oz gun.

And 380 to, you know, broaden my firearm experience as a noob.

Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List