Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42. Go or no go?

I'm up to about 1100 rounds on my Glock 42. I've fed it as many types of fmj and jhp i could and to date only had 2 stoppages. Both were from the same box of some fmj ammo I picked up from a local big box store. It was branded as Field and stream packaged in 50rd boxes. I've chalked it up to that ammo as I've never had a bobble otherwise. Great shooting lil pistol...
    Last edited by Drew78; 06-08-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you need to wear a tucked in shirt, and pocket carry in business appropriate pants, the 42 is about the best option going.
    It's a bit big for pocket carry unless you wear baggy pants or you're a big guy. I can pocket carry it in cargo shorts, but in business casual the LCP ll blows it away as far as concealability goes and it's just as accurate at typical defense shooting distances.

The one thing that the 42 really has going for it is that it's one of the few little polly 380s which the manufacturer says that you can shoot high pressure ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by cold-beer View Post
    It's a bit big for pocket carry unless you wear baggy pants or you're a big guy. I can pocket carry it in cargo shorts, but in business casual the LCP ll blows it away as far as concealability goes and it's just as accurate at typical defense shooting distances.

The one thing that the 42 really has going for it is that it's one of the few little polly 380s which the manufacturer says that you can shoot high pressure ammo.
    I have had good luck pocketing a 42 in a Blue Force holster in a range of my business appropriate pants, and I am 6-1, 165 pounds. I also hope to have better skills and technology than necessary for a “typical defense scenario.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have had good luck pocketing a 42 in a Blue Force holster in a range of my business appropriate pants, and I am 6-1, 165 pounds. I also hope to have better skills and technology than necessary for a “typical defense scenario.”
    I find the 42 to be slightly more accurate than the LCP ll past the 15 yard mark because it has a longer sight radius, but I wouldn't exactly call that technology. It's a much bigger gun. It's more accurate at that range than the LCP ll for the same reason a Glock 19 is more accurate than the 42 at that range. The triggers are OK on both. I prefer the crisper break of the LCP ll, but I prefer the better predictability of the Glock trigger. One thing that I do really like about the LCP ll trigger is the long pre-travel and short reset. You can tell that the trigger was designed for pocket carry. The Glock trigger is almost too light for pocket carry for a lot of people. I'm fine with it, but I get why some wouldn't be.

I find the 42 to be slightly more accurate than the LCP ll past the 15 yard mark because it has a longer sight radius, but I wouldn't exactly call that technology. It's a much bigger gun. It's more accurate at that range than the LCP ll for the same reason a Glock 19 is more accurate than the 42 at that range. The triggers are OK on both. I prefer the crisper break of the LCP ll, but I prefer the better predictability of the Glock trigger. One thing that I do really like about the LCP ll trigger is the long pre-travel and short reset. You can tell that the trigger was designed for pocket carry. The Glock trigger is almost too light for pocket carry for a lot of people. I'm fine with it, but I get why some wouldn't be.
    Go shoot a challenging task, like Gabe’s school test, and let us know how you did with the 42 vs the LCP.

Hammertime

Glock 42. Go or no go?

Go shoot a challenging task, like Gabe’s school test, and let us know how you did with the 42 vs the LCP.
    I would also be interested if an LCP can survive 2000 rounds. May have to do this myself. I only have 5-600 through one.

I like shooting the LCP, but not as much as a 42. I still can’t pocket a 42, but will check out the Blue Force holster in hopes of doing so.

Edit: checked out holster. I really dislike pocket holsters that do not cover the rear sights because otherwise they tend to put holes in the pants.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 06-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.

I don't think they're really comparable guns in that aspect. A better comparison would be a 42 vs the LC380. The LCP is a pocket gun.

I own a Glock 42 and 43 together with a Ruger LCP and a S&W Bodyguard.

The 42 vs the 43. I find the 42 much easier to shoot. The 43 to me is surprisingly snappy. It's a separate argument on 9mm vs 380. I run the Defoor standard of 10 rounds at 25 yards. It's very hard for me to get a good score (80+) with the 43. The 43 is also quite a bit lighter when you hold them side by side.

The 42 is a totally different envelope for me to the LCP and bodyguard. It's a little bit bigger but I find it much easier to shoot accurately. The LCP will conceal in gym shorts with no belt.
    Last edited by underhook; 06-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.

I don't think they're really comparable guns in that aspect. A better comparison would be a 42 vs the LC380. The LCP is a pocket gun.
    I carry a 42 in my pocket pretty much every day. Performance wise, my LCP Custom and a J frame are very close, while the 42 is like a harder to draw and reload Glock 42. I think I have posted some videos shooting the 42 on parts of Gabe’s test and shooting Bill drills in previous 42 threads.

I carry a 42 in my pocket pretty much every day. Performance wise, my LCP Custom and a J frame are very close, while the 42 is like a harder to draw and reload Glock 42. I think I have posted some videos shooting the 42 on parts of Gabe’s test and shooting Bill drills in previous 42 threads.
    The 42 is like a harder to draw and reload 42?

User Tag List