Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: legit advice on modifications?

Site Supporter
    It appears that the question regarding Apex spring kits for J frames was answered above, but not quite directly. To attempt a more direct answer, there is good reason for concern on a gun that is capable of being cocked, since the single action trigger pull would also be lightened. However, on a gun capable of only double action, the resulting trigger will still be long and heavy enough so that a credible allegation that the modification was unsafe cannot be made.

I have only one gun with a professional trigger job: a North American Arms .380. That gun is DAO, and the trigger is still long and reasonably heavy. My accuracy was significantly increased after the work. I carried this gun daily for several years, and would not hesitate to do so again.

While I would never recommend a Glock with a minus connector and standard trigger spring, my Glocks have minus connectors with NY1 trigger springs. One of them is carried daily in this configuration, and I am aware from Glocks own publications that they have supplied guns with this configuration to various police departments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Many of these types of issues pertaining to anti gun or politically motivated prosecuting attorneys are reasons that the farther I travel from home, the more concerned or more careful I am about how I conduct myself when carrying a weapon as a licensed person. I can't assume that in this new place I will encounter the same attitudes as I find in my own little corner of the world. How I conduct myself includes keeping my mouth shut, maintaining a clean and professional appearance, avoiding trouble spots, making a point of being courteous, not projecting a negative body language, and not staring at anyone. I make a point not to telegraph to others that I have a weapon--like subconsciously touching it or pulling up my pants or wearing clothes permitting printing. What I'm paranoid about is involvement with the criminal justice system.
    Last edited by willie; 04-23-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Organization

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Many of these types of issues pertaining to anti gun or politically motivated prosecuting attorneys are reasons that the farther I travel from home, the more concerned or more careful I am about how I conduct myself when carrying a weapon as a licensed person. I can't assume that in this new place I will encounter the same attitudes as I find in my own little corner of the world. How I conduct myself includes keeping my mouth shut, maintaining a clean and professional appearance, avoiding trouble spots, making a point of being courteous, not projecting a negative body language, and not staring at anyone. I make a point not to telegraph to others that I have a weapon--like subconsciously touching it or pulling up my pants or wearing clothes permitting printing. What I'm paranoid about is involvement with the criminal justice system.
    All good practices all the time, not just when traveling.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I don't even bother thinking about it, life's too short and I'm not a tinkerer anyway. I don't visit communist leaning states which reduces (although doesn't eliminate) any potential issues. If all I have is an open gun lying around or the option of dying I'm gonna whip out that 38 super.

YMMV
    Last edited by Peally; 04-23-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Does anyone know of a trial following an SD shooting where one of those "self defense" modifications had been performed on a polymer pistol? e.g., grip reduction, stippling, etc. Those are sold and performed by at least a few well regarded shops, so seemingly there should be many of them in circulation for EDC.
    Of the 100+ or so OIS's that I have investigated, debriefed or reviewed, about 10 have included these types of mods, including wagwells, extended baseplayes and grip reductions. None has made it past the grand jury, the modifications have never come up as an issue. But then, they were all clearly justified.......

I have seen several controversial, heavy press attention shootings with guns that were modified, including 2 worked over 1911's. in all of those, the modifications never came up, despite people grasping for anything to make the officer look bad. But then, the shootings were justified based on the facts.

I think the key for salient characteristic of these incidents is that I have never had an officer claim his gun just went off on its own. All in my direct experience have included a statement that the discharge was intentional (or: despite these modifications, it worked exactly as intended, when intended)

2 agencies in my area have had that claims that their guy intentionally drew their weapon, intentionally aimed it at a vital area on a suspect, and while it was pointed at that vital area, despite never having discharge accidentally before, it went off at just that moment. One of these was with a box stock gun, which resulted in a conviction, and one with a modified gun which did not (that case is actually mentioned earlier in the thread, but the modification was a side show to other more material issues)

Given all of that, to address the original question, changing a beretta to another factory configuration is somewhat of a non issue IMO.

Site Supporter
    While the specific mod may not be an issue since it seems benign and within 'normal' (whatever they are) ranges, I wonder about avoiding 'communist' states. Independent of the misuse of the term 'communist', one should remember that a state can have a patchwork of political identities. In right wing gun nut Texas (get my sarcastic point), some of the big cities are not gun friendly. In 'gun hating' NY, if you get outside of the metro areas like NYC or Buffalo, and into places like Niagara county, it's more gun friendly.

Anyway, no overall demographic modal opinion statistic guarantees your jury will be pro or con. Even more nuanced, it is something I mentioned before - a gun knowledgeable person or one who is an autodidactic self proclaimed expert might just not agree with your modification or gun choice. Look at all the veterans who proclaim that status and denounce EBRs. IIRC, even the vice-principal who used his 1911 to detain a school shooter isn't ideologically pure:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/u...-teachers.html

An Armed Principal Detained a Campus Gunman. But He’s Against Arming School Staff.

But one assistant high school principal who survived a school shooting — after loading his Colt .45 pistol, then chasing and detaining the suspect at gunpoint — says the idea is misguided.

“Teachers have to teach, and that’s what they should be doing,” said Joel Myrick, the former assistant principal at a high school in Mississippi. “It doesn’t matter what a pistolero you are, or think you are. You don’t need to be in school in charge of protecting children.”

That was a topic Mr. Myrick, who vividly recalls the damage that a relatively slow lever-action rifle caused on a high school campus, wanted to discuss, too. “If Luke Woodham had an AR-15, he probably would have killed 20 people instead of two,” he said. “There’s not a soul on the planet who needs an AR-15 except military.”
    That was from the anti-communist state of Mississippi. See the flag in the picture. Guy drives a truck.

Site Supporter
    I would agree that changing a gun from one factory configuration to another factory configuration would be unlikely to be an issue, as long as that factory configuration is not for competition or recreational shooting only.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    While the specific mod may not be an issue since it seems benign and within 'normal' (whatever they are) ranges, I wonder about avoiding 'communist' states. Independent of the misuse of the term 'communist', one should remember that a state can have a patchwork of political identities. In right wing gun nut Texas (get my sarcastic point), some of the big cities are not gun friendly. In 'gun hating' NY, if you get outside of the metro areas like NYC or Buffalo, and into places like Niagara county, it's more gun friendly.

This is a real concern. Where I live (rural suburb) is very self reliance, self defense, among others, oriented. Where I work (Atlanta) is like a daily journey through the looking glass into leftist la la land. I have zero doubt that the two jurisdictions have very different mentalities and approaches toward self defense scenarios.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Continuing to read all replies and very grateful for the many contributions/perspectives!

If try to summarize, it seems to come down to:

a) THE SPECIFIC MODS I ASKED ABOUT would likely not be consequential but could be.
    b) Since nothing is certain in legal proceedings, you must weigh your own risk tolerance when it comes to introducing additional (and perhaps unnecessary) variables (like weapon modifications) into a DGU.
    c) More than a few advise that you press the easy button on this and do NOT introduce such variables.

How'm doin'?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    Continuing to read all replies and very grateful for the many contributions/perspectives!

If try to summarize, it seems to come down to:

a) THE SPECIFIC MODS I ASKED ABOUT would likely not be consequential but could be.
    b) Since nothing is certain in legal proceedings, you must weigh your own risk tolerance when it comes to introducing additional (and perhaps unnecessary) variables (like weapon modifications) into a DGU.
    c) More than a few advise that you press the easy button on this and do NOT introduce such variables.

How'm doin'?
    Sums it up pretty well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List