Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P 15-22 OOB lost extractor

They want me to send the whole rifle in, also. We will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    This sort of thing is my one fear with my SBR’d 15/22. Knock on wood, 17k with no issues thus far.

Find a magnet and cast over the ground where you think you lost the part.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    They are just sending me the parts surprisingly.

I called and said that I had a OOB this weekend and I was looking for parts but couldn't find anywhere to get them and he asked for my name and address and said: "Okay, that should take care of you."

I asked him did he want my serial number and he said: "Nope, you are good."

So hopefully I will have it up and running again shortly.

I will update after I get in the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Find a magnet and cast over the ground where you think you lost the part.
    We looked for a while but it is in a backyard and we didn't see hide nor hair of it. Didn't think about trying a magnet but being in an open field it would probably have required more luck than anything. I wish someone had been looking in my direction when I was shooting they might have seen it fly out.

Still might try this weekend when I go back to my brother's.

I realize shooting bulk box 22lr is kind of the point, but I stay away from it in my 15-22. Seems the rounds at the top of the box are fine, but the weight of those will often loosen the projectiles/bullets of the rounds on the bottom of the box. The further I've gotten into a 555 box for instance, the more failures (FTF) I've experienced, and in the 15-22, it can cause OOB detonations. The good news is that the parts are easily replaced and Smith's CS has been excellent IME.

I'll run all the cheap bulk stuff through my 10/22, Henry H001, and a 22/45, but I stick to Mini-Mags in the 15-22. Never had a problem, and I'm somewhere north of 5k through my 15-22.

Remington Golden Bullets are junk, and I'll shoot them through the Henry lever, but that's about it. As pointed out earlier, S&W at one time specifically named the Golden Bullets as a no-go in the 15-22 manual. Not sure if they still do that or not, but they caused enough OOB incidents to earn a spot in the manual.

What about the 15-22 makes it more prone to OOB than a 10/22? I've been looking at getting one or the other for a steel challenge rifle.

Just to update.

The plunger and spring are on back order but they did send me the extractor. I called to ask about only getting the extractor and not the other parts and apparently set me up to get an extra set of parts too.

Kudos to S&W!

Hopefully I will be getting parts before long. We finally have some warm weather and no rain.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 05-03-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    I bought a 15-22 late in 2009.

The early guns had some kind of extractor problem resulting in the gun firing out of battery.

It happened to me and I sent it back to S&W and they replaced the extractor and threw in a couple of new magazines.

No problems since then. I shoot that gun pretty frequently. It runs best with CCI mini-mags (so does every other auto loading .22 I think) but even runs with standard velocity .22s with a lead bullet (as long as the gun starts out clean and lubed)

30 years ago Remington Golden Bullets were much more consistent in their quality control. I fired THOUSANDS of them through different guns with only the occasional malfunction. It's disappointing to see how their QC has declined
    Last edited by Jeff22; 05-09-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Update again.

I received my parts about a week ago but didn't have a chance to install them and test until this weekend. It was really simple to do. Pretty much put in the spring, put the plunger into the end of the spring with the tab facing away from the bolt then use the extractor to compress it all until it snaps into place and click you are done. Very simple once you figure it out. Technically it would be something you could fix while at the range with no tools if you had extra parts or could find the parts that left the gun.

Works fine now.

I did a thorough cleaning while I had it apart and it didn't really need it, so it wasn't a problem with crud causing the OOB.

Hopefully staying away from Remington Golden will keep all the bits and pieces in the bolt. I only have 2 boxes of that Golden junk left and I will be using it exclusively in my Marlin 881 or 39a (assuming someone doesn't buy it from me first).

User Tag List