Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOE micro rig

I've taken the SOE rig through classes with Awerbuck and Haught, and Haught wore one for part of the class.

S&J Hardware have an similar looking piece that looks like it might work well with GJMs type of set up.

https://sjhardware.com/collections/a...er-pouch-mkiii
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 04-22-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since the battle belt is too bulky to fly with, most often when out in the field in AK, I just have my USP in a JM George, spare mag, and one of those shot shell cards with five extra Brenneke slugs in my front left or thigh pocket to feed the 14 inch Benelli.
    My application will be hog hunting in dense brush. My initial thought was to stoke the Benelli (C3 w/ shell on the carrier/safety off, ready to rack, as you've described before) and stuff one (or two) of the Esstac 4 shot cards into a HPG kit bag. I wear a pistol OWB in a Phantom and use the kit bag for phone, admin, spare pistol mag, torch, multitool, IFAK + boo-boo kit, and cliff bars etc. You're spot on with the bulk of the battle belt. I originally shelved it because it had a tendency to ride up when running, climbing or squatting, at least on me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Had a not so favorable experience with John at SOE about a decade ago. Basically told me and my buddy to piss off after we inquired about a paid in full order 8 weeks past it's estimated delivery date. Seems like my experience isn't that uncommon.
    @GJM I like that minimalistic approach a lot. Almost makes me want to dig my HSGI belt out of the closet and fit it up for woods walking.
    There are a lot more issues to John Willis of SOE gear than bad customer service.

He is a convicted felon x2 (sale of cocaine and felon in possession of firearms) and tight with James Yeager and the Tactical Response crowd.

Apparently a few years ago he refunded a customers money after they complained about lead time then posted a YouTube video of him burning the customers order.

Is that really who you want to do business with ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There are a lot more issues to John Willis of SOE gear than bad customer service.

He is a convicted felon x2 (sale of cocaine and felon in possession of firearms) and tight with James Yeager and the Tactical Response crowd.

Apparently a few years ago he refunded a customers money after they complained about lead time then posted a YouTube video of him burning the customers order.

Is that really who you want to do business with ?
    He pleasures in mocking people who try to contact him and ask where the order he cashed the check for a year ago is, so saying that "customer service is not his thing" is an understatement.

He seems to be able to keep Brownell's in stock with these, so if you must have one, rather than build the equivalent from a "blank" MOLLE panel and some pouches, it's an option, but...
    ...If you buy from Brownells, you're still doing business with him, yes?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Hmmm, I normally know the people/companies to avoid. I must have missed this one.

Most of my hunting is just done with a few extra shells in my strap vest or a couple slugs in my pocket. I'm thinking this might just be something fun to try.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Hmmm, I normally know the people/companies to avoid. I must have missed this one.

Most of my hunting is just done with a few extra shells in my strap vest or a couple slugs in my pocket. I'm thinking this might just be something fun to try.
    I'd avoid him, except if he made the exact product I wanted and it was in stock at a third party which is what you describe. Good post, bro.
    #RESIST

I really like the idea of the micro rig. I had actually asked him about 8 years ago if he could make one with the pouch to hold the IFAK but instead of the shell loops have a double mag pouch to hold 2 Saiga 12ga 5 rd mags one in front of the other but he never responded............ I guess that's a "customer service not being his thing" kind of thing....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 04-24-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I invented the Micro Rigs with John Willis, back about 07-08. I was working with the Barrett family at the time, and wanted a lightweight rig that would carry Ammo for a long gun and an IFAK, but suspended asymmetrically. I drew a picture on a Chili’s napkin and sent it to John on a flip phone. He made the prototype, and brought it to me a week later. I wore it for 2 weeks straight while working, recommended a couple tweaks, and John streamlined the design for mass production.

Post pics. I collect them. I have photos of folks wearing them as Civilian Defender training rigs, as active killer rigs in patrol cars all over America, AND Canada, and soldiers and contractors all over the world. There’s tens of thousands of them out in the world.

A few years back (prior to hearing the negatives about Willis) I had my previous agency order SP bungie slings and 12 ga / M4 micros for vehicle bail-out bags from a stocking vendor (AGS).
    I'm currently usung a BFG 10-speed 6-pack bandolier with AR mags. Not sure of a 12 ga solution yet.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd avoid him, except if he made the exact product I wanted and it was in stock at a third party which is what you describe. Good post, bro.
    I guess it matches my Springfields

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd avoid him, except if he made the exact product I wanted and it was in stock at a third party which is what you describe.
    On further reflection, this is a good point: The issue with Willis, the only one I've heard, is that he makes a good product in his own time, and has no patience with people who gave him money but expect him to produce in good time.
    I gotta admit, if he cashes my check I expect him to keep me posted about progress, especially if it's going to take a year plus for my order to move to the front of the queue.
    But if he takes forever because he is supplying a retailer or two, and they have them in stock, why not order from them?

Although I confess I did a quick check, you can assemble a similar rig from parts, but it would probably cost more than Brownell's is charging.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List