Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOE micro rig

SOE micro rig

I finally sucked it up and bought one. Brownells has them in stock and active junky gave me 7% back.

I stopped by the range and "mag dumped" it twice. With an unloaded shotgun I'd load untill full. Shoot untill empty, then repeat.

I did it with my shockwave once, then my stocked 590a1. I think it's a good addition to a side saddle and the shockwave where I don't want to make it heavier. The micro rig is a nice way to add some extra rounds.

Trying to load the shockwave from the chest puts all the weight and torque on your right hand. Make sure you eat your Wheaties. It's doable, but noticable after a while.
    Last edited by 03RN; 04-21-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I finally sucked it up and bought one. Brownells has them in stock and active junky gave me 7% back.

I stopped by the range and "mag dumped" it twice. With an unloaded shotgun I'd load untill full. Shoot untill empty, then repeat.

I did it with my shockwave once, then my stocked 590a1. I think it's a good addition to a side saddle and the shockwave where I don't want to make it heavier. The micro rig is a nice way to add some extra rounds.

Trying to load the shockwave from the chest puts all the weight and torque on your right hand. Make sure you eat your Wheaties. It's doable, but noticable after a while.
    I invented the Micro Rigs with John Willis, back about 07-08. I was working with the Barrett family at the time, and wanted a lightweight rig that would carry Ammo for a long gun and an IFAK, but suspended asymmetrically. I drew a picture on a Chili’s napkin and sent it to John on a flip phone. He made the prototype, and brought it to me a week later. I wore it for 2 weeks straight while working, recommended a couple tweaks, and John streamlined the design for mass production.

Post pics. I collect them. I have photos of folks wearing them as Civilian Defender training rigs, as active killer rigs in patrol cars all over America, AND Canada, and soldiers and contractors all over the world. There’s tens of thousands of them out in the world.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I invented the Micro Rigs with John Willis, back about 07-08. I was working with the Barrett family at the time, and wanted a lightweight rig that would carry Ammo for a long gun and an IFAK, but suspended asymmetrically. I drew a picture on a Chili’s napkin and sent it to John on a flip phone. He made the prototype, and brought it to me a week later. I wore it for 2 weeks straight while working, recommended a couple tweaks, and John streamlined the design for mass production.

Post pics. I collect them. I have photos of folks wearing them as Civilian Defender training rigs, as active killer rigs in patrol cars all over America, AND Canada, and soldiers and contractors all over the world. There’s tens of thousands of them out in the world.

civiliandefender.com
    Cool

I'll get some video from my next practical shotgun match too.

Sorry but this one is just in Rhode Island. It's been 13 years since my last deployment and I sure don't wear this to work at my psych hospital. It's just for funsies. I will use it hunting this year though.
    Attachment 25628

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Cool

I'll get some video from my next practical shotgun match too.

Sorry but this one is just in Rhode Island. It's been 13 years since my last deployment and I sure don't wear this to work at my psych hospital. It's just for funsies. I will use it hunting this year though.
    Attachment 25628
    Well done!

civiliandefender.com

Last edited by 03RN; 04-22-2018 at 09:06 AM.

One of these days I’ll grab one for the AK.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

If there was a similar product made by someone other than John Willis, I would get one. I won’t give Willis a nickel. I use an old Eagle one that has worked well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    If there was a similar product made by someone other than John Willis, I would get one. I won’t give Willis a nickel. I use an old Eagle one that has worked well.
    Sounds like customer service is not something John is big on.

I got my SOE rigs 15 years or so ago, and took shotgun classes with them. I ditched them for use in Alaska, as I couldn’t imagine a use for that much extra ammo, in my wilderness setting. I did go with a subset of the micro rig, to mount on my belt with extra shotgun ammo.

Name:  B2009637-A4C5-4F34-B7E2-46BBA58C2579.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  40.3 KB

Here some of my other kit for carrying shotgun ammo.

Name:  6ABE433A-F12C-48DF-BADE-132936760CBC.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  66.0 KB

Out at our remote cabin, 100 miles from town, we try to keep a bit of spare gear around in case something breaks or we have guests.

Name:  E76C572B-EFCA-4FD3-8662-8EF5E2B3A10A.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  91.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Had a not so favorable experience with John at SOE about a decade ago. Basically told me and my buddy to piss off after we inquired about a paid in full order 8 weeks past it's estimated delivery date. Seems like my experience isn't that uncommon.
    @GJM I like that minimalistic approach a lot. Almost makes me want to dig my HSGI belt out of the closet and fit it up for woods walking.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Had a not so favorable experience with John at SOE about a decade ago. Basically told me and my buddy to piss off after we inquired about a paid in full order 8 weeks past it's estimated delivery date. Seems like my experience isn't that uncommon.
    @GJM I like that minimalistic approach a lot. Almost makes me want to dig my HSGI belt out of the closet and fit it up for woods walking.
    Since the battle belt is too bulky to fly with, most often when out in the field in AK, I just have my USP in a JM George, spare mag, and one of those shot shell cards with five extra Brenneke slugs in my front left or thigh pocket to feed the 14 inch Benelli.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List