Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ SP-01 as night stand pistol

I would consider one of the new Langdon 92 pistols, with his trigger job, or a CZ P09 with the Cajun Pro kit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    The SP-01 Tactical has the decock feature. When applied, the hammer falls to a position between full cock and all the way down. This position is not the same as an old school half cock but looks the same. It's safe. One advantage is it permits a shorter and lighter double action pull.
    I drink the CZ kool aid but have to work at doing so. I bought three new CZ series pistols within a year. In all three, the trigger return spring broke. One was an SP-01. The same occurred in a clone. Dry firing was not an issue here because I did this very few times. Currently I have two, and each has an aftermarket trigger return spring. One day I hope to have a Cajun Gun Works customized CZ. Yes, I want their aftermarket lighter trigger return spring, and I want them to do an action job including trigger job. But part of their package is achieving lighter d.a. and s.a. pulls by using a lighter firing pin safety spring and lighter hammer spring. To ensure reliable ignition they use a longer firing pin spring not compatible with a full strength factory spring. As it comes from the factory the CZ does not have light strikes.

I see no reason not to consider a 1911 9mm. Once demonstrated to function properly, your wife will have perhaps the lightest recoiling 9mm handgun. She will have to be comfortable with keeping it cocked and locked, a condition that looks unsafe to many. Storing it in a holster with a strap between hammer and frame should ease worries.

Back to CZ's. Because of the way the slide fits the frame, there is not as much slide area to grasp when manipulating the slide. The SP-01 and P-01 models are better in this respect, but still have less area available than most other service handguns.
    Last edited by willie; 04-21-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Let's revisit the eternal debate!

In my experience even the most finely tuned 1911s require testing with each ammo type to be considered reliable for defensive use. If the gun is used in practice, as the recoil spring wears, reliability cannot be counted on. Add the variable of a possibly weak grip or otherwise suboptimal technique, and it makes me even more skeptical. Can she clear the difficult-to-clear malfunctions that can occur in 1911s? IMO, 1911s are experts guns. (And this expert doesn't own any 1911s anymore).

I like CZs a lot, but I wouldn't choose a non-decocker model for this application. I agree with GJM. A P-09, possibly with a CGW Prograde kit could be a good choice if she can operate the slide well enough to clear malfunctions. HK P-30 is another excellent option.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I am not a competitive nor a high volume (~10k/yr) shooter but I am a big fan of the 1911 in 9mm. The commander model in particular.

I have a Kimber Aegis pro that I bob-tailed and have around 5k through it and have only had one bobble with it. That was a stovepipe when it was filthy and dry at about 400 rounds into a class in a very dusty environment. In my book that certainly does not impact my trust in it as a carry or a home defense gun.

With the budget mentioned, I think I would be looking into a Dan Wesson 9mm Valkyrie commander. You can still find them on GunBroker (TwoGunJay) for about $1200.00.

I realize that the 1911 requires more maintenance and dedication to practicing the manual of arms. Definitely not for everyone. But if you are willing to put the extra effort into it, it is an outstanding platform.

I have been carrying an SP-01 daily for the past few weeks. Mine is the standard safety model but I manually decock it for a DA first shot. If you are comfortable with it you can manually decock the SP-01 as I do after you load it. If you need your wife to be able to load/unload the gun by herself then perhaps that is not an option.
    The SP-01 Tactical has a built in decocker. It does increase the DA pull a bit and makes the gun significantly more difficult to detail strip, which would come into play if you are going to tune the gun for a lighter trigger pull. I believe all SP-01 models come with Tritium night sights.

The Omega series (p-07, p-09, as well as p-01 and CZ75 "Omega" models) allow you to switch out the safety for a decocker which is really neat. They also give you a decocker without any increased mechanical complexity, unlike the traditional CZ75 lockwork. My personal experience is it's much easier to get an excellent trigger pull with the traditional CZ75 lockwork. Either system is pretty comparable out of the box, with perhaps more variation from gun to gun with the Omega system.
    On that note I would also look into the P-09 or the P-01 Omega "Suppressor ready" model.

Whichever model you go with I highly recommend getting the improved firing pin retaining pin from Cajun Gun Works (CZ Custom might make one as well). The stock pin will get destroyed in short order from any serious dry fire practice. While you're at it you might as well get the Cajun Short Reset kit which will enable you to use a much lighter 13lb hammer spring and still have 100% reliable ignition. This is the only upgrade I have in my SP-01 and I feel the trigger is excellent. Also order a spare Trigger Return Spring while you are at it. The Cajun lightened Trigger Return Spring and the CZC improved TRS both last much longer than the stock springs.
    If your wife has smaller hands you could go with the CZC reach reduction kit which shortens the trigger reach in DA while significantly decreasing DA trigger pull weight and shortening the reset.

For maximum safety you could also go with a Tanfoglio Witness which allow the safety to be on with the weapon decocked. They are, however, more bulky and might not fit your wife's hands as well.

I would definitely go CZ platform over 1911. Compare a CZ, even with all the upgrades I listed above, to any half decent 1911 model and you are saving a ton of money. Not to mention nearly double the capacity and much easier to install aftermarket parts yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Langhrone View Post
    Hello.

Wife wants a night stand gun.
    Shoots well enough with VP9 and some other polymer pistols, but has always left the range with tired, achy hands. She's not weak, just more delicate than the average man.
    Yesterday we rented a 9mm 1911, and the SP-01. She wants one.

Basically we're looking for a full size steel/metal pistol with the reliability and low maintenance of the modern striker fired pistol, or as close as we can get.
    She didn't like the ergos of the Beretta 92. I'm ruling out the possibility of a Sig based on the conversations I've read here. Not sure she'd like the ergos on them anyway.
    Round counts per year would probably < 3K. 2K or less is more likely.
    We've discussed and compared the differences of the TDA and SAO triggers, and how they are kept and used in a serious role. She understands and is comfortable with either, and willing to practice with either.

So was hoping to get opinions on out of the box reliability of the SP-01 or a 9mm 1911, and also expected frequency of maintenance outside of field strip and clean.
    I'd prefer a stock pistol, but would consider a complete upgraded one from a good company.
    Budget not too much an issue, but want to stay well under $2K.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan
    Leaving the range with tired achy hands isn't a bad thing to be honest. Shooting isn't supposed to be comfortable if done properly. If she shoots the VP9 good, why change?
    Last edited by HALO51; 04-21-2018 at 08:20 PM.

GJM and everybody else, thank you for the replies. We will discuss over our Sunday morning coffee.

One last question. Consensus on the SP-01 reliability is good if TRS replaced every so often?

Quote Originally Posted by Langhrone View Post
    GJM and everybody else, thank you for the replies. We will discuss over our Sunday morning coffee.

One last question. Consensus on the SP-01 reliability is good if TRS replaced every so often?
    She would have to shoot it an awful lot, to break that TRS. At that point, you would want one shooter, and one nightstand copy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Geez, reading some of these threads could make a person think 9mm 1911s are all just waiting to blow themselves up or fall apart at the first use. These days, especially with good magazines, 9mm 1911s can be rock solid. My carry gun, night stand gun, and main range gun all are. But I concede that lots of folks would be better off with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Geez, reading some of these threads could make a person think 9mm 1911s are all just waiting to blow themselves up or fall apart at the first use. These days, especially with good magazines, 9mm 1911s can be rock solid. My carry gun, night stand gun, and main range gun all are. But I concede that lots of folks would be better off with something else.
    I completely agree. My guess is that many here have never owned a 9mm 1911 yet jump in to comment.

My personal experience, based on owning three 1911s in 9mm- Buy a good one. I have an older 5" Springfield that runs great on FMJ, and only likes certain hollow points, a Dan Wesson Valor that shoots FMJ, HST, and Gold Dots without an issue. My ex has carried a 4.25" custom 9mm 1911 for over 7 years and I feel just as confident in it as a "modern pistol". I think the shorter slide lends operates better on a 9mm 1911. I cleaned and oiled hers about once every six months and replaced the recoil and mainspring every couple years. It liked 124 +P Gold Dots which is the same load I run in my HKs.

For a woman with smaller hands, there isn't a lot of mass there to insure a proper cycling gun. The metal frame on the 1911 helps by adding that mass. The thumb safety is something that requires training and practice to learn but it won't take long. I put the Wilson Low-Lever safety on hers which improved actuation and comfort. The trigger on a 1911 is easy to reach and manipulate, and you can put in a shorter trigger for those that need it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List