Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CZ SP-01 as night stand pistol

Site Supporter
    My 9mm Commander has definite ammo preference. It won't cycle my preferred carry ammo (135gr+ Critical Duty) and so I don't really carry it. It does just fine with gold dot and HST.

But my preference for a defensive 1911 will always be a .45 ACP because I can't afford a Wilson Combat or the services of a gunsmith and there is more margin for error with a production grade 1911 in .45

That said, a CZ SAO would be pretty awesome and I doubt you'd have the trigger return spring breakage problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    She would have to shoot it an awful lot, to break that TRS. At that point, you would want one shooter, and one nightstand copy.
    Instead of waiting for it to break, could the TRS be PM'd on a schedule? And from what I've read maybe the slide stop also? Would the pistol have to be proven reliable again after this like when it was new?

Alan

For all the fans of the 1911 9mm idea (including me), after further discussion SAO only has been eliminated. Cocked and locked for an infrequent user...she decided against.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Langhrone View Post
    Instead of waiting for it to break, could the TRS be PM'd on a schedule? And from what I've read maybe the slide stop also? Would the pistol have to be proven reliable again after this like when it was new?

Alan
    I have five Shadow 1 pistols, that I bought four or five years ago. I got extra TRS and slide stops. Have never broken either part, although I am probably at only 10,000-15,000 rounds on each. I have broken a Dawson FO front, had several rear sights come loose, and had a number of hammer hook wear issues. I hear current OEM TRS last +/- 20,000 presses.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Beretta M9A3 may be worth looking at. It is a little more small hand friendly, if that is an issue, with the Vertec style grip than the 92FS. It is a little pricey, but considering you were already looking at a 1911 and a CZ Shadow, it should be within your price range.
    Last edited by JTQ; 04-22-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I would consider one of the new Langdon 92 pistols, with his trigger job, or a CZ P09 with the Cajun Pro kit.
    This. Times a million. GJM has wisdom.

I would consider one of the new Langdon 92 pistols, with his trigger job, or a CZ P09 with the Cajun Pro kit.
    No matter how much I love my S2's and how cool they are this suggestion just makes soooo much more sense. The Langdon guns, in some cases, might be better at the things you like the CZ for anyway.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've used a SP-01 tactical in exactly that role in the past, since mags and parts are basically for free over here (one of the big reasons that made me buy it, since I always felt there are better choices with regard to quality of manufacturing, sights and accessories, and ease of servicing).

Very easy to shoot well and good ergonomics, but had trouble with feeding on several of the factory 18 round mags, defaulted to use 15-16 rounders instead.

FWIW, I know of several high round count 75s and Sp01s (where the owners didnt start cutting springs) that never broke a slide stop. So if you end up getting it, my advice is to leave it stock and test all the mags you'll be using for HD.

OK. I'm hearing GJM now. He answered my original question: What pistol heavy enough to soak up recoil, good trigger, proven reliability.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Heading back to the 938 page Langdon 92 thread for Beretta education...

Quote Originally Posted by Langhrone View Post
    OK. I'm hearing GJM now. He answered my original question: What pistol heavy enough to soak up recoil, good trigger, proven reliability.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Heading back to the 938 page Langdon 92 thread for Beretta education...
    You can save some reading by just ordering one of the new Langdon 92 pistols with his trigger job.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List