Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ SP-01 as night stand pistol

CZ SP-01 as night stand pistol

Hello.

Wife wants a night stand gun.
    Shoots well enough with VP9 and some other polymer pistols, but has always left the range with tired, achy hands. She's not weak, just more delicate than the average man.
    Yesterday we rented a 9mm 1911, and the SP-01. She wants one.

Basically we're looking for a full size steel/metal pistol with the reliability and low maintenance of the modern striker fired pistol, or as close as we can get.
    She didn't like the ergos of the Beretta 92. I'm ruling out the possibility of a Sig based on the conversations I've read here. Not sure she'd like the ergos on them anyway.
    Round counts per year would probably < 3K. 2K or less is more likely.
    We've discussed and compared the differences of the TDA and SAO triggers, and how they are kept and used in a serious role. She understands and is comfortable with either, and willing to practice with either.

So was hoping to get opinions on out of the box reliability of the SP-01 or a 9mm 1911, and also expected frequency of maintenance outside of field strip and clean.
    I'd prefer a stock pistol, but would consider a complete upgraded one from a good company.
    Budget not too much an issue, but want to stay well under $2K.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

Decock or thumb safety model? Shadow or regular?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Prefer the safety version, but safety lever on the rented SP-01 was not optimum.
    If the Shadow doesn't give up anything in the way of reliability, it would be our choice as she likes the idea of a heavier pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I didn't know shadow was available in decock.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

sp01 definitely 9mm 1911's can be very finicky

Site Supporter
    I know you said steel frame but a Beretta PX4 9mm either in compact or full size is amazing for it low recoil and might serve well in this role.

The Shadow has no firing pin safety and no decocker model, so both would disqualify it for me, in the role you describe.

Did she have any trouble with the small slide on the CZ? My wife ran a 75B for a little while but eventually moved away from it due to difficulties clearing malfunctions (without much slide to grab on to). If your wife can rack the slide on the CZ with no trouble, I would bet on the CZ running with less drama out of the box (vs a 9mm 1911).

With a budget of 2k, I would also consider buying a reasonable-quality factory 1911 (Springfield RO, Colt competition pistol, etc) and sending it to Wilson or a similar 1911 shop for reliability work.

I think I have a decocker SP01, lightly tuned by CZ Custom or Matt Mink (can’t remember exactly, and the pistol is in another state right now) that I could probably sell you, but this gun for this use, generally seems like a bad idea.

I ran a safety SP01 for a bedside gun for a short while years ago but moved away from it due to the safety. I was concerned my wife wouldn’t swipe it in a high stress situation. She would shoot at the range but was not doing high stress drills to ingrain hitting the lever. A decocker would have been better for us.

User Tag List