Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VLTOR A5

VLTOR A5

I'm curious if there's a lot of ppl running VLTOR A5 receiver extensions on their ARs now days. I've been thinking about mating one with either a full length 20" upper like the USMC variant, or putting a 16" middy on there. I figured they've been out there long enough now to get some good feedback. Thanks.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 04-21-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

I have them on my two primary ARs. Honestly I don’t know that I notice much of a difference or even understand all of the discussion around them, but the concept makes sense and they’ve functioned well with both my Noveske and BCM uppers with a few thousand rounds. I use Springco green springs and BCM’s intermediate tube, along with A5-3s in both IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the VLTOR A5 on a 16" Colt and on a BCM middy. If you are building I can't see any reason to use anything else.

This may cause some butthurt, but if you give me the choice of a carbine length gas system with the A5 or a mid length gas system and an H buffer I'll go carbine/A5 everytime. Softer/slower recoil impulse is why.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

The improvement in felt recoil of the A5 RE with the A5H2 buffer over the carbine RE and H2 buffer is subtle but noticeable. I have a 20" precision upper with a Battlecomp and recoil is soft and amazingly flat when used on an A5 equipped lower. The best combination I've tried so far is the A5 RE, A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green spring.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Did a ton of slow motion video. A5 and sprinco green is my pick.

I have A5s on the majority of my 16” and shorter ARs. I did it based on a lot of reading, and have had zero problems with them. I started using them when they first came out, so it’s been quite a few years now.

Using the A5 kit from BCM with a BCM 16" mid-length. The rifle seems happier with it (really smooth with the 75 grain Gold Dot .223 load) but then again it might all be in my head. Like others, made the change based on lots of reading and recommendations from those more knowledgeable than me.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Using the A5 kit from BCM with a BCM 16" mid-length. The rifle seems happier with it (really smooth with the 75 grain Gold Dot .223 load) but then again it might all be in my head. Like others, made the change based on lots of reading and recommendations from those more knowledgeable than me.
    75gr Gold Dot is the most violent round I've ever fired, including 70gr Browntip and M855A1 (in 5.56 caliber).
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-22-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    75gr Gold Dot is the most violent round I've ever fired, including 70gr Browntip and M855A1 (in 5.56 caliber).
    The Black Hills 77 OTM 5.56 seems hotter to me in my rifle. In any case, the GD 75 is very accurate in my BCM ELW BFG upper and reportedly hits hard.

Edit - I just realized you were probably referring to its terminal ballistics, not recoil or report. Sorry for the brain fart.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-22-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The Black Hills 77 OTM 5.56 seems hotter to me in my rifle. In any case, the GD 75 is very accurate in my BCM ELW BFG upper and reportedly hits hard.

Edit - I just realized you were probably referring to its terminal ballistics, not recoil or report. Sorry for the brain fart.
    General cycling profile. It's a heavy bullet with a fast powder.

User Tag List