Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk - Help Needed

Recently got one of these myself, started making my own grips for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Very early in our marriage, I was forbidden from ever using that cleaner in the house. Wife cannot stand it. ��
    Had the same issue, but with Shooter's Choice, which I believe Satan uses to remove the brimstone build ups from his pitch fork.

I think I mentioned this before here, but one of the guys I used to shoot with would always wipe down his revolver while it was still hot. He claimed that doing so make getting the powder residue off much easier and no need for solvents. The other well know option for stainless guns are the yellow "metal magic" cloths.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I understand the dislike of the smell of Shooters Choice, though it is a good solvent, particularly for the old German berdan primed mildly corrosive 308 ball ammo that was around in the 80s. Really dirty ammo, though for $2/box retail at the local gun shop we didnt complain much. It was great plinking ammo for the HK91.

I'm confused, the guy that wiped his gun down with Shooters Choice solvent said it made it so he didnt need any solvent?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

I'm confused, the guy that wiped his gun down with Shooters Choice solvent said it made it so he didnt need any solvent?
    Let me rephrase. The one guy I was talking about, after firing his last shots, would wipe the outside of the gun down with a soft towel before the gun cooled off and it would get rid of all the powder residue on the outside of the gun with no need for any chemicals. He often shot a blued Python and did not want to mess up the finish.

I, on the other hand, am a Cretin and do not clean the gun until it is filthy and therefor use Shooter's Choice powder solvent, just not at home.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Ah, thank you.

My apologies, it makes more sense reading it today, think I was operating on sleep deprived brain cells then.

Not that I operate...

Here is one of my favorites. Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag 3 screw 4 5/8" with American Holly grips.

^^^Smokin’ hot. American holly finished with oil is amazing; just the right combination of smooth and tacky. Plus, Smokin’ hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ^^^Smokin’ hot. American holly finished with oil is amazing; just the right combination of smooth and tacky. Plus, Smokin’ hot.
    Thanks. They were finished with tru-oil.

A fine gift! Looks like someone is fond of you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Lastly, is there anything in the ‘I don’t know what I don’t know’ category about shooting one of these?
    Yes. Once you get started, if you find any affinity for shooting it at all, you'll find it's very difficult to stop with just one single action. If you are one of the lucky few that stops at just one, you'll start fighting the urge to tinker. A trigger job here, a new set of grips there, maybe some different sights...so help me they're as bad to have around as a 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    A fine gift! Looks like someone is fond of you!

Yes. Once you get started, if you find any affinity for shooting it at all, you'll find it's very difficult to stop with just one single action. If you are one of the lucky few that stops at just one, you'll start fighting the urge to tinker. A trigger job here, a new set of grips there, maybe some different sights...so help me they're as bad to have around as a 1911!

Gads. Yeah.

Intrepid front porch gunsmith/tinkerer that I am, it became: Install SBH (Super Black Hawk) grooved triggers, SBH wide low spur hammers in some, steel grip frames on one that had alloy, slick up internals, reshape hammer top and front to eliminate the blocky look, cut down and turn down the factory base pins to remove the flange and make them look more Colt-ish, steel cam cut ejector rod housing, crescent or bullseye ejector rods, clip 7 coils from ejector spring, giving about 1/4"-3/8" more ejector stroke, bevel front of cylinders, remove most warning markings on barrels, flat topped a couple adjustable sight frames, made two sets of one piece rosewood grips (only about 11 hours each of welding, filing and cutting on the metal before starting on the grips), installed an S&W lanyard ring in one, reshape blocky factory front sights, replace rear alloy sights with factory steel rear sights, lower rear sight as much as possible and sight in by filing front down and reshaping, replaced one front sight with small block and blade type similar to old Colt Flat Top Target front sight, and a couple other things I'm forgetting. Most factory and aftermarket grips can use reshaping and removing the squared feel behind the trigger on the inside of the curve. I also like to file the early Colt bevel on the rear edge of the grip frame screw boss behind the trigger to allow the curve to continue as far forward as possible. Other than that, they are about perfect as they come.

Edit; Forgot, also working on a modified SBH large grip frame to eliminate the square back guard and duplicate the Cassul grip profile. I never cared for the Bisley grip frame, but the Cassul always appealed to me for feel. It took some welding and grinding in a couple areas. now i want to make a set of one piece rosewoods for it before putting it on a gun, I'm spoiled by the other ones I did.

Name:  IMG_5859.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5853.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  80.4 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-07-2018 at 03:12 PM.

User Tag List