Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk - Help Needed

Ok, just making sure here:

I went to swap out the cylinder to the 9mm one tonight.

Name:  7459EB64-F057-4E8A-B987-EFA9FE4AD955.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  45.4 KB

The two cylinders aren’t really marked. But I think the one for 9mm is the one with the little steps inside the chamber?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok, just making sure here:

I went to swap out the cylinder to the 9mm one tonight.

The two cylinders aren’t really marked. But I think the one for 9mm is the one with the little steps inside the chamber?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks.
    They will both have somewhat of a step, but the 9mm will be a much shorter distance from the back end.

If in doubt, try a 38 or 9mm cartridge in each, they should only fit the correct cylinder.

Ruger Blackhawk - Help Needed

Shot the .38 cylinder today.

I took some 148 gr wadcutters as recommended here to see whether I needed to adjust the sights.

I did. I was easily 10” high at 10 yds. After figuring out how to lower the front sight (clockwise on the screw) I was able to get rounds landing more or less on top of the front sight ramp.

The black rear U and front black ramp didn’t really bug me too much.

I do need to figure out how one grips a revolver, I just could not get comfy with it.

Felt recoil was negligible, just ‘pop’ and a hole appeared.

That B8 has a score of 40-0-X for five rounds. I know I can do better; it was my first time shooting a real revolver.

Gun feels indestructible, like a tank. Got it home and discovered I have to use my Bore Snake like six times for each cylinder lol. Pretty easy job though.

What a lot of fun. Very cool gun.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-10-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Ruger Blackhawk - Help Needed

The two cylinders aren’t really marked.
    I finally read the manual closer; the cylinders *are* marked. They have the last three of the SN etched in each one, 646 in my case.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-10-2018 at 09:30 PM.

One thing I didn't see mentioned; if you shoot a bunch of .38's through it, .357 cartridges may not fit in the chamber until it's cleaned. .38 cases are 1/10th of an inch shorter than .357, and upon firing will gunk up the chamber a little bit. This gunk can solidify and make chambering .357s difficult. If this happens, just clean the chambers.

You'll probably find that .38 or .357 shoots better. These bullets are .357 or .358 in diameter, while 9mm is .355 or .356. The larger bullets engage the rifling deeper. However, this isn't a hard and fast rule.

Finally, save your cases. It makes much more sense to reload .38 or .357 at $15/box and up, than 9mm at $8.95/box. I know you're travelling for much of the year, but for low volume reloading (1-2 boxes for a range session), you can get a very portable reloading kit. I find it very relaxing, sort of like knitting for guys.

Thanks a bunch, useful info ^^^.

I did notice that the front of the cylinder was pretty gunked up after my few wadcutters. Although it’s possible it hasn’t been cleaned in a while. The manuf date is 2015 I believe.

Thanks a bunch, useful info ^^^.

I did notice that the front of the cylinder was pretty gunked up after my few wadcutters. Although it’s possible it hasn’t been cleaned in a while. The manuf date is 2015 I believe.
    Rich,
    He is talking about inside the chambers, in the space difference between the lengths of .38 and .357 cases.

The front of the cylinder can be taken care of with a bronze or stainless brush. Actually, the front of a stainless cylinder is about the only place I like to use a stainless brush.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-14-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Rich,
    He is talking about inside the chambers, in the space difference between the lengths of .38 and .357 cases.

The front of the cylinder can be taken care of with a bronze or stainless brush. Actually, the front of a stainless cylinder is about the only place I like to use a stainless brush.
    Thanks Chuck, yeah, I could have said that better. I meant the front part of the cylinder where the chambers are i.e. inside the chambers. I hadn't realized that .357 and .38 special cartridges were different...in fact I've never actually seen a .357 round.

Perhaps I ought to try a box, you know, just for the experience.

That would make a hell of a bedside gun, no? I mean, a .357 round is not ineffective against two- or four-legged critters, correct?
    Last edited by RJ; 06-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

This may sound odd, but the way these rounds plunk into each of the big cylinder's chambers is refined and musical; it just has an ineffable feel of old-world quality to the experience. I know that sounds odd, but until you try it...
    I now know what you mean. Shooting this revolver is like stepping into a time machine...very very cool.

The limiting factors would be the cowboy-gun aspects, not the cartridge, as a bedside gun. Your G19 is better in that role.

The range of ammo available makes the BH a very versatile outdoorsman's sidearm.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List