Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical downside to opened loading port?

Tactical downside to opened loading port?

Considering opening the loading port on my latest Benelli. I’ve done another in the past. Worked very well, no issues. On a weapon that is ammo limited and complicated to reload by design, I don’t see a downside to making it faster/smoother/easier.

Any thoughts from the shotgun masters (@Dagga Boy, @Tom Givens, @jlw, @HCM)

This is the last one I did to illustrate the idea:

Name:  65FC3351-3944-4DEE-A4C6-8D3D688813FF.jpg
Views: 3538
Size:  53.4 KB
    Last edited by ASH556; 04-21-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I would hate to see something get jammed in that Gap that would not allow the shell lifter to raise.

Maybe weaken the receiver? IDK

I know gamers do that to help quad loading. I'm not sure such an aggressive opening is needed for loading one at a time.

I do plan on smoothing some edge on my Mossbergs one of these days.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here

Site Supporter
    Unless you are doing something where getting dirt into the receiver is a concern, I would be curious about wear issues.

How does cutting through the Anodizing affect the strength of the receiver and how will it affect wear in that area ?
    Last edited by HCM; 04-21-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Depends on the application I guess. For 3-gun, perfect... social use, maybe not so perfect. I look forward to seeing the opinions of those you tagged. I think the ( threw off your @Dagga Boy tag

From everything I've read, there have been exactly ZERO instances of a civilian reloading their shotgun when deployed defensively. Clearly, one should know how to reload reliably and efficiently (which is why I chose the Metro load across the board for simplicity), but it seems that a shotgun purposely built for social use would fail to benefit from modifications to the loading gate. This is exacerbated if potential failure points or stoppages are introduced which would not have been possible without the modification.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.

I wouldn't do it, but only because the thought of grinding a Benelli receiver makes me queasy.

What's the purpose of this shotgun? Riding in a car? Sitting in the corner of the bedroom?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have two Benelli M2 14 inch shotguns that I use for bear defense in AK. One has the loading area opened up and one does not. The one that is opened up is only because the gun started as a Benelli custom shop 3 gun model, and they did the work.

As I envision using my 14 inch shotguns, my primary reload is my HK USP, and the next most likely scenario would be tossing one slug in the action with it locked open empty, where opening the action up would be irrelevant.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My Benelli M2is a 3 Gun Model and with the big loading and ejection ports and an 18”Vent rib with chokes, I would be on it like a fat kid on cake.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

For me the gun is mostly a sporting gun. Recreational sporting clays, 3gun (though not so much anymore due to time, but still enjoy it), hunting. Basically, if something requires a shotgun, this is what I grab. Not so much an HD role, although I consider most of my firearms to be defensive weapons at some point and so require that they be up to the task. @karmapolice just borrowed it last month to run through a LEO instructor class. It’s definitely up to the task, just wondering specifically if the port mod has a downside. Not seeing it personally and sounds like DB agrees.

Here’s the gun:

Name:  203B8227-0F81-4029-AD0B-FB098FE4082D.jpeg
Views: 1841
Size:  74.9 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I have no experience with the modified ejection port, but remember, I'm also that the guy that refers to stippling as frame mutilation..
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd think the "gun mods" thread and previous one linked in it over in the Semi-Auto Pistol area would be relevant, if any social uses are contemplated.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List