Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 5906 Question

Site Supporter

Used 5906 Question

I have the chance to pick up a used 5906 with a few mags for a good deal (around 275 out the door). I know there are some 3rd gen Smith aficionados on here, and wondered if there would be anything to look for as far as red flags? I have been looking around and it appears that I can get replacement springs still, but what about other parts (firing pins/trigger bars/etc.). This will be mostly a gun to shoot some local matches, and after getting some rounds thorough it I will probably end up buying a holster to carry on occasion. Thanks much in advance for the help.

Used 5906 Question

You can still find parts privately... but S&W has stopped producing them. What is out there is what is out there.

I have a 1006, which I love... but I reduced it from a regular shooter for that reason. Got it when magazines were in the $40 range. Now, $85 and up. If something breaks, I might be SOL to find a part... or pay out the butt for it.

Not saying 3rd Generations are garbage, but buying one for a high volume shooter isn’t a smart move. Might not be what you want to hear, but get a Glock or something else that is still in production. Keep the metal framed S&Ws for less used duties/collectible/just a gun you want.

Mainly, look for abuse. Pull the slide off (if possible) and check the frame for any signs of issues. Those guns were workhorses, so it really takes a good amount to mess one up... but I’ve seen it happen. Until you get into the xx26, really not too much different to look for minus basic stuff. If you do buy one, might be worth it to get a Wolff spring kit and change everything out.
    Last edited by Screwball; 04-20-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    I owned three of this model and had no problems. I urge you to verify that the mags are factory, and then if you decide to keep the pistol, I suggest that you replace the mag springs and the recoil springs, all available from Wolff. You might examine the extractor to determine if the nose is chipped--a condition that can occur by improperly loading the first round--placing it in the chamber and then dropping the slide. The extractor is a fitted part and requires use of a gauge for factory spec installation. Loaded, the pistol is heavy. As a range gun it will excel and aso will do nicely for home defense. They are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I have the chance to pick up a used 5906 with a few mags for a good deal (around 275 out the door). I know there are some 3rd gen Smith aficionados on here, and wondered if there would be anything to look for as far as red flags? I have been looking around and it appears that I can get replacement springs still, but what about other parts (firing pins/trigger bars/etc.). This will be mostly a gun to shoot some local matches, and after getting some rounds thorough it I will probably end up buying a holster to carry on occasion. Thanks much in advance for the help.
    They are fun guns to own and even more fun to shoot. That said, they come with magazine disconnects which can complicate the “unload,show clear” portion of ending a stage . Not a major deal,but something to note.

Of greater concern is the logistics situation behind these guns. The last civilian sale 5906 was made nearly 19 years ago. After I bought an ex-CHP 4006 I contacted S&W to determine what the parts situation is. The rep stated that small parts supply was unknown,and any damage needing a new slide or frame to fix would total the pistol. So one Kb ,and it’s curtains.

For a fun gun that’s not a big issue,but shoot thousands of rounds through a pistol and sooner or later the odds of a bad round can catch up. Blow up a Beretta or Glock barrel and you’re back in business in three business days. Blow up a 5906 barrel and it’s a wrap.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

You can probably get all the parts you need with this kit: https://everygunpart.com/smith-wesso...stainless.html

At $275 I'd jump on that and not look back. The 3rd Generation Smiths are solid pistols. Small parts can still be found by going through ebay and collector forums. I recently obtained a slide stop for a 4506 by using the latter. Midway and Brownell's still stock various parts. Regardless of your intended use, if it's in good shape that's an excellent price.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-21-2018 at 12:43 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Banned
    The only thing that I would add to this is that Mec Gar makes 59 series magazines so they're readily available

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    You can probably get all the parts you need with this kit: https://everygunpart.com/smith-wesso...stainless.html

That is an interesting kit. I was not aware such a thing even existed. It might be a very good source of replacement parts. Very cool information. My usual practice of spare parts is to buy a complete spare pistol. I still shoot an old 2nd Generation 559 that I refurbished after a lifetime of abuse. It shoots just fine for the limited amount of rounds it sees.

The issue with the 3rd Generation, especially guns like the 5906 that were made from the beginning to the end of production of the family, is that not all parts are capable of being used in all guns. There were several factory process and part improvements over the years, and many parts must be fitted using armorer tools and gauges that are not readily available. For example, hammers and sears changed over the years and have to be carefully matched. The extractors need a complicated (more so than the 1911) fitting process. Same with the firing pin safety, ejector/magazine disconnect, and sear depressor levers in the frame.

I collect the S&W 39xx and 59xx-series pistols from 1st Generation to 3rd Generation, but I realize that there are better choices for service pistols today. I would suggest a Beretta M9 or 92FS as a modern, still manufactured, still-supported shooter alternative to the 5906 as the manual of arms is much the same. I also would not hesitate to purchase a 5906 in functioning condition for $275. But I also would not carry it.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-21-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Site Supporter
    $275? I’d be bragging with pics. And I’d shoot it. It’s a tough gun. And I have leather to fit it, too.

I have four 3rd gens. One was my carry gun for a couple of years, and I’d go back to it in a heartbeat. I shot it a lot. None of mine have given trouble, except for one bad magazine. I replace recoil springs when I buy them.

That said, my match gun is a tweaked 92a1. The 3rd gens are set back for a rainy day, whether that is paying medical bills or replacing my G26 carry gun that might not be available for some reason. I buy parts when I find them, and I trust them, but you have to be realistic about the future.

Get it, shoot it, enjoy it. It might wear out someday, but buying a top quality gun at what amounts to SCCY or KelTec prices, that’s an okay situation to be in.

Site Supporter
    $275 is a steal. I regret not keeping at least one of my 3rd gen pistols.

User Tag List