Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife Question for SWAT/Tac Unit Guys

I interned with an agency last summer and my supervisor was a big fan of the Triage, but I think some of the other options on this thread have a bit more personality and would make a better gift. It might also be worth looking into having whatever knife you decide on engraved (either locally or at the factory) with something to commemorate the occasion.

And congrats to your friend (and you!)

He deserves them, always, and that folder is particularly nice and practical; I'm thinking of getting an extra one in the "two is one, one is none" mindset.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Knife Question for SWAT/Tac Unit Guys

(Oops. I just saw that this question was addressed to LEOs, which I am not. Sorry about that.)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    My once-magnanimous mission has suddenly become “buy two knives”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

One of my swat buddies had a Bark River knife. Bravo something I think it was. Man that knife was cool. Felt great in hand and was scary sharp. I think they even made a tactical holster for him. USA made and lifetime warranty.

Worth adding to the research list.

A SWAT operators job is kinda like a reverse construction worker so anything one uses is generally used hard and torn up at some point. High end stuff is nice to have but one thing about knives I’ve learned is someone always wants to borrow them and god knows what they are going to use it for. Folders also tend to disappear out of pockets because they get caught on stuff.

I would get him something nice but don't buy something he’ll use in full kit, iust sometnig he’ll carry when dressed down.

All that being said the new Geissele/Abraham and Moses fixed blade is really good looking and seems perfect for SWAT stuff. I don’t really care for the factory sheath but I’d buy the plain blade with no sheath ($375) and have a good kydex guy fix it up.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 04-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    (Oops. I just saw that this question was addressed to LEOs, which I am not. Sorry about that.)
    I still value your input, offer as you like.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    We are reviewing all these answers, thank you all. My god, I also found a ZT knife for around $300 that is so gorgeous I might need to buy it myself.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0393
    Name:  B7574DA8-5367-4B59-AD44-CA54D3C21AAC.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  105.3 KB
    I have always considered myself a Spyderco guy but I now own almost as many ZTs. I keep my collection small and I don’t see myself ever getting rid of this one. The g10 overlays provide a lot of grip and it doesn’t take up near as much real estate as say the zt0562.

My duty knife for the last five years or so has been an Emerson PUK. The only folding knife I have been carrying is a Swiss Army Knife.
    However, if I could afford it and only have one knife it would be a Strider SMF. The SMF is my all time favorite knife for work. I sold mine and downsized due to life events that have resulted in a serious drop in income.
    An SMF and DB would be an ideal pair IMO.

A few thoughts:
    -I don't think I ever used a knife for anything critical on SWAT.
    -Mostly I carried a folder by Benchmade or Emerson.
    -If you hand it to a teammate, it better not be one you'll cry over when it gets lost or broken.

The real classy thing to get your bud would be a small Sebenza.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List