Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Question for SWAT/Tac Unit Guys

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    It does look like a solid utilitarian knife. How does it compare to the Spyderco PM2?

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    I don't own the PM2 but the ZT will be far more robust, (especially at the tip)...but not nearly the slicer.

(I've sort of hankered for a PM2 but I haven't carried any of my Spyderco's recently. I still have a virgin Military in 440V, and a nice Calypso Jr (one of my favorite models) in ZDP-189 among sundry others.) I gave away my other Calypso Jrs to folks who admired 'em.
    Last edited by blues; 04-20-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Strider DB would be a first choice for a SWAT knife, but I am a bit biased.
    I heard somewhere that the guy who designed that had some SWAT experience. And was also rogueishly handsome. And witty to boot.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

You left out exquisite taste in revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Looks like the ZT Hinderer folder is being discontinued so they’re on sale for $200: http://www.gotknife.com/zero-toleran...-folder-zt550/

The ones with the flipper also say discontinued on the site but aren’t discounted.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

LE can sign up on the site ExpertVoice and get ZT knives for 50% off retail. I’ve used them before. You can get an 0562cf w/ m390 steel for $150 which is just ridiculous. I’ve used them before. The knives ship straight from ZT.
    Last edited by JCS; 04-20-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Given that Benchmade and ZT both have good pro deals, might I suggest something that you can't get with a pro deal: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bench...-point-cpm-m4/

Still a Benchmade, but a dealer special, so Benchmade's pro deal doesn't apply. Of course, locale matters, the CPM-M4 is a tool steel, and thus needs more care against corrosion than your standard stainless steel blade.

Vending Machine Operator
    We are reviewing all these answers, thank you all. My god, I also found a ZT knife for around $300 that is so gorgeous I might need to buy it myself.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0393
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-21-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

If you want a robust automatic knife that you will give to your kid when you retire, look at the RAT Worx MRX. These things are the bench mark for over built working knives.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Rat-Worx--2020

Not to say that any ZT, Hinderer blade would be a bad choice either. But that MRX is the epitome of Tuff as Nails.

ETA: I am not SWAT or "on the job" in any capcity. Just a knife user and connoisseur.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 04-21-2018 at 06:19 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Is he wearing suits/slacks in his detective duties? Tactical pocket knives with blocky edges, grippy scales and metal clips aren't always nice to nice clothes. Pant's pockets can be reinforced with leather in high wear area and it's not any more out of place than a knife, or something that can be carried on a belt/IWB without being too out of place.

If you can swing another $30 a Broco jimmy bar, will be a better swat "knife" than most knives and it'll greater extend the useful life of any knives he carries. A pry bar and a knife will give you a lot more useful options, than trying to find a knife that can stand up to being used as a pry bar.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I'll offer up for consideration another classy, rock solid folder: the Spyderco PPT

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'll offer up for consideration another classy, rock solid folder: the Spyderco PPT
    Always nice to see Fred getting some props.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List