Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Knife Question for SWAT/Tac Unit Guys

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I carried expendable knives on SRT.

I think the knife I carried the most was a Benchmade AFCK (in M2). It was particularly apt because former SEAL Chris Caracci helped design the knife and he was my primary instructor when I went through Ft. Lauderdale P.D.'s SWAT school back in the 90's.

(I didn't realize his connection until after I already owned the knife.)
    I still have mine somewhere ... now I need to go and find it.

It impressed quite a few people at a Remy Presas (RIP) winter camp over twenty years ago, which surprised me as I would have thought they would know all about it.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    For every good thing with Chris, there were a lot of eye rolls. The centerline Derringer carry was hilarious. I trained with a lot of that generation team guys. You got a few nuggets, they were fun to hang with, but very little was applicable. Same with the SAS guys. Simply very different worlds.
    The entry techniques were useful as alternatives to what Miami-Dade, Miami P.D. and other local agencies taught back then. We were able to put them to use on various entries over the years. Same with GSG 9 when they came over.

Also, don't forget, Chris was not teaching simply SEAL techniques...but the Ft. Lauderdale P.D. curriculum.
    (We trained with SEALS separately on the beach and abandoned hotels on Key Biscayne. No, no aquatic deployments for us, we joined up on the beach.)

Now, if you want to talk about the SEALS landing HALO jumps on our rooftops while quartered at Marana, that caused some eye rolls and not a few laughs at the pub. (Except for one that didn't make it. Marcinko wrote about it in one of his books.)
    Last edited by blues; 04-21-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Is the DB still in production/available?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrhawk View Post
    Is the DB still in production/available?
    Yes, as is the DB-L and SA/SA-L if you prefer clip point

If he can carry a fixed blade go DB/SA all the way. Otherwise for a folder I'd go waved first, so either an Emerson or Zt/Emerson. The thing I don't like about the ZT's is the smooth lockside. They're fine off duty, but I really like the rough g10 on both sides of the Emerson's. I've tried/owned spydercos/Zt's/BM's/Strider's/Hinderer/CRK and always come back to Emerson for duty. I carry a Super Roadhouse strong side and a Super Kbit support side. I really like the wave and the ability to open the blade on the draw with one hand.
    Last edited by SCSU74; 04-23-2018 at 09:03 AM.

I'm not LE nor a hard user of knives but I have had many different knives over the years including ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade, and Chris Reeve. I hope it's OK to add my $0.02?

The one knife that keeps popping into my noggin is the Benchmade Contego with the M390 stainless steel blade. IIRC, it was designed with input from a high-speed low-drag military unit. Regardless, it's a really solid knife.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 05-01-2018 at 12:45 PM.

I have a ZT 0300, 0350, and a Benchmade Adamas that I alternate carrying. They're all folders and easily replaceable should I lose one. I wouldn't go for anything too expensive or exotic. SWAT guys are hard on their gear. We will find a way to break anything given enough time.

Site Supporter
    Almost 50 years ago, a friend who was a uniformed patrolman killed an opponent by gutting him with a fixed blade knife in a do or die situation. The opponent was in the process of disarming him. The gutting aspect wasn't planned per se but did occur. My friend was convinced that he would be sent to prison because of how things looked. Having said this, I ask if an officer's using a knife as a weapon brings about more scrutiny when the incident is investigated.

Site Supporter
    Any use of high level force, especially if death or significant injury results, is going to bring about "scrutiny" by the department's review process, the prosecutor, "community" groups, politicians, the media, and possibly DOJ. This is probably especially true if a knife is involved. That said, if an officer had a "better" way of resolving dead;y threat, he or she would take that alternative. I personally would prefer to bring about "more scrutiny" than be killed or seriously injured.

I will remark that in most use of knives by officers does not seem to attract the media and political attention I would have expected. I would invite comment by Dagga and others with more expertise on that issue.

The biggest potential issue with a knife is an officer failing to retain his knife and being killed or injured with it. The second biggest issue is having to use deadly force because the officer failed to retain said knife. Getting dead is pretty obvious problem. Creating a situation where you can be accused of manufacturing a deadly force scenario due to negligence or just flat out accused of planting a throw down. It's all pretty theoretical, police knife use is so rare that there isn't enough data out there to get a feel for a public reaction.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Vending Machine Operator
    As OP I would again like to express my thanks for the excellent information shared.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List