Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Question for SWAT/Tac Unit Guys

Vending Machine Operator

Knife Question for SWAT/Tac Unit Guys

I have been considering a new gun in July as a reward for paying off my student loan several years early (on track to happen in June).

After talking to my humble, quiet, awesome friend from college, who made SWAT today and also made detective recently, I have decided that money would be better spent buying him a nice knife for everyday duty carry.

Obviously it's his choice, he's a grown man, but any suggestions from tac unit guys and/or detectives about a robust, useful knife in the $250-300 range? We are currently chatting about Benchmade options like the Barrage and Triage.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Benchmade are nice, but check out Tom Halloran knives. He is a good guy and his knives are excellent and about your price range.

http://halloranknives.com
    Last edited by smithjd; 04-20-2018 at 07:34 PM.

In a folder in that price range...I think the ZT stuff is the best out there right now. Their Hinderer, Emerson, and Onion/Strider production versions are outstanding. Emerson production stuff is good. For a fixed blade....Strider DB would be a first choice for a SWAT knife, but I am a bit biased.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My agency issues us the Auto Triage. I personally like it and carry it everyday simply because I value the punch and rescue hook, but what I gather among knife guys is that you can get a better quality knife for the price. I'm not sure of how many other knives also have a rescue hook and punch, though.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-20-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'll echo DB. I like the ZT (Hinderer) models for EDC , hard use. I carry one much more than I thought I would. It just keeps finding its way into my pocket.

But it'd be hard to go wrong with any of the suggestions.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I gifted a kid in the National Guard who works for me a ZT Hinderer. He wanted a big fixed blade cool guy blade. After he deployed to Hurricane Harvey he realized how good that Hinderer was for really using and all the guys in his unit are jealous and he is never without it now.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I gifted a kid in the National Guard who works for me a ZT Hinderer. He wanted a big fixed blade cool guy blade. After he deployed to Hurricane Harvey he realized how good that Hinderer was for really using and all the guys in his unit are jealous and he is never without it now.
    I first met Rick at his first Blade Show (or Guild Show) years ago. I "knew" him from online. I thought his work showed great promise back then and am only sorry I didn't buy a few of his knives over the years before they became so popular.

ZT has done a great job of capturing the spirit. I was fortunate to be very generously gifted mine by Thomas Welk of ZT Knives. (I'm saving the Elmax model for when I wear this one out. )

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I first met Rick at his first Blade Show (or Guild Show) years ago. I "knew" him from online. I thought his work showed great promise back then and am only sorry I didn't buy a few of his knives over the years before they became so popular.

ZT has done a great job of capturing the spirit. I was fortunate to be very generously gifted mine by Thomas Welk of ZT Knives. (I'm saving the Elmax model for when I wear this one out. )
    Looks like the ZT Hinderer folder is being discontinued so they’re on sale for $200: http://www.gotknife.com/zero-toleran...-folder-zt550/

The ones with the flipper also say discontinued on the site but aren’t discounted.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Looks like the ZT Hinderer folder is being discontinued so they’re on sale for $200: http://www.gotknife.com/zero-toleran...-folder-zt550/

The ones with the flipper also say discontinued on the site but aren’t discounted.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    That's the one I've had for a few years. The 0550 and the 0551. I'm not a flipper guy.

The one flipper I own is an all damascus custom Model 16 by Kit Carson which he gave me a remarkable deal on it for helping him man his table at the Blade Show in the late 1990's. (It was featured in the knife rags back when.) The damascus steel was forged by Daryl Meier and given to Kit by the Buck family.
    Last edited by blues; 04-20-2018 at 09:09 PM.

It does look like a solid utilitarian knife. How does it compare to the Spyderco PM2?

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List