Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Churches Divesting Themselves Of Police Services

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has a source or link to an article discussing this "movement". I have not heard of it, even being a churchgoing California cop. I have a feeling this "movement" involves progressive churches in inner cities, if it does indeed exist. Just wondering if there's a contract with a "no backsies" rider, so when they change their minds and call 911 when the inevitable happens, we can ignore it?
    Part of me wants "you" (police) to be able to do that, but the rest of me (the majority btw) recognizes the near vertical slippery slope that would create.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    The article I saw was on MSN "front page". I regret not making a link.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A new movement among California churches is the decision not to call police for any reasons including violence. Reasons given include violent responses by police to citizens. These folks are drinking the anti-cop propaganda kool-aid. I think we'll see more posturing by certain persons doing silly crap in order to get arrested. And then other dummies buy the act and share the cup of of k aid. Very sad!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    The article was in the Washington Post. Descriptors from the thread topic will bring it up in google. I was unable to make a link.

I fail to see a problem. Less work for us, and when the inevitable happens we don't have to investigate, just call the body removal service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This may vary from locale to locale.......

But here where I work, the people that claim to hate us the most are also the same ones that call us constantly wanting us to fix their "drama". Oh, and drama is color blind as I deal with it all over my zone. White, black, Hispanic......doesn't matter what hood it is....there's always that "one" house that despises us yet when the calls roll in, we all roll our eyes and don't have to even guess how to get to said call.

Over the years, they have come to know me and even though it gives them the worst taste in their mouths and they would never admit it, they respect me because I treat everyone fairly and don't try to "big boy" anyone. When they call, and they always do, I show up and fix what I can and explain why I can't fix what I can't. I have found that explaining things (to those that will quit yelling and acting the fool) usually gets a thank you and a handshake every now and then.

On that flip side, if someone beats up their girl or does something else that requires the cuffs to come out, they also know that talk is over and I'm done putting up with nonsense.

I had this one guy that had to get locked up and the very first words out of his mouth (DV call) were for me to go pleasure myself and that he wasn't going anywhere. Big kid too and about half my age. After a little dance session in his girl's apartment and a thump or two, he was in the car and on the way to jail. We were about a mile or two from the jail and he went from cussing me out to laughing and saying "You awright, man!" after I cracked one joke about smoking weed. Another officer followed us up there and couldn't believe that the suspect and I were "best friends now" in such a short trip.

People skills take you a long way. If we had a church here tell me that they weren't going to call us anymore, I'd politely say "Okay, I'm good with that but WHEN you change your mind, the number is still the same 911." and laugh as I walked to the car.

They will call in the future.......they always do.

Regards.

I'm reminded of the experience of medical professionals with hippies in the 1960's. As they lived in communal groups and eschewed bathing, diseases and conditions that hadn't been seen since for centuries began to resurface. It turns out that those bourgeois bathing habits weren't so stupid after all.

People have lived under the protection of the rule of law for so long that they have forgotten what life is like without it. There are some illusions that only a harsh dose of reality can dispel.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

double post...see below
    Last edited by Willard; 04-20-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has a source or link to an article discussing this "movement". I have not heard of it, even being a churchgoing California cop. I have a feeling this "movement" involves progressive churches in inner cities, if it does indeed exist. Just wondering if there's a contract with a "no backsies" rider, so when they change their minds and call 911 when the inevitable happens, we can ignore it?
    Willie's post came from the MSN article. It was essentially a cut and paste of the Washington Post article below.

Site Supporter
    This reminds me when I had a homeless guy sleeping in a local church during the day. The priest tried to make him a pet project. Feeding him and “helping” him until one day he went through all the purses of the ladies working in the office stealing their cash and credit cards. There was a school attached to the church so the staff was over a dozen pissed off ladies. The ladies called the police but the priest refused to talk to me. I still made the arrest. It wasn’t hard. I just checked our local homeless camps. We had several “camps” in wooded areas. You just had to get out of the car and hike to them. The local mosque would not call us either
    Last edited by Poconnor; 04-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.

User Tag List