Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got to try out a P30 vs. G17.5 vs. Px4 FS

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    I must admit I've never run into a "Texture" issue on the trigger of the P30 series. But it's the shooters perception not mine that matters. I still haven't shot the PX4 yet, I'll try to rent one later to compare. Most issues people have with the P30 are the trigger travel and hammer spring weight. There's actually a bunch of guns including berettas with the identical travel, the P30 just has the weight with it. If you look at my most recent videos with the P30 you'll see I'm running it very quickly and easily. It's just time and rounds down range. Nothing internal. I'm leaving my P30LS stock, and most likely my P30L V1 when I get it.
    For me, I started on DA revolvers, and then moved on to DA/SA handguns, and only recently added striker-fired to my list. I also haven't ever done hammer spring or trigger job adjustments to my guns, so I don't find the trigger weight of the P30L that I tried to be bad at all. I also agree that after spending more time with it I am sure I could shoot it better. The big thing to get over for me was the texture, travel, and break point. All of those combined made it difficult for me to get a smooth, rolling DA pull on the gun. My finger would sort of "stall out" by the time I got close to the break point. Trying different finger positions would cause various issues because of the texture, since I find that I have to subtly shift my finger on the trigger during a long DA pull in order to stay smooth, and the travel on the P30L was so long that I couldn't maintain a solid pull without shifting my finger placement somewhere throughout the trigger pull, and doing that on the textured trigger resulted in the gun going way off target.

I’m loving my PX4s, but they are prone to inducing a horizontal twitch when the trigger breaks. I can hammer on the P30 trigger and the front sight sits still. Its the darnedest thing. It’s really distinct in dry fire.

As much as the PX4 is a better “system” for me I can’t stop liking the P30s :shrug:
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I’m loving my PX4s, but they are prone to inducing a horizontal twitch when the trigger breaks. I can hammer on the P30 trigger and the front sight sits still. Its the darnedest thing. It’s really distinct in dry fire.

As much as the PX4 is a better “system” for me I can’t stop liking the P30s :shrug:
    The P30 series trigger has a weird thing going on with it. The trigger on paper/dry fire sucks honestly. The reset is long, and the DA is long. But you can really snatch the trigger and it's fine. It's a great self defense gun and if you master it, it's even better. But I've pulled off shots with the P30L I could never do with any other gun, and during live fire it just sticks there if I do my part. Flattest shooting polymer framed 9mm I have. Which is saying something.

Vending Machine Operator
    I put serious, long consideration into the P30 series, but since I have extensive positive experience with a PX4 .40 fullsize over the last decade or so, I will likely just get a PX4 Inox 9mm with a Trigger Job In A Bag. My poly DA/SA needs are satisfactorily met with the PX4.

I really enjoy side-by-side shooting of different platforms like this. Having familiarity and experience with the stuff out there is never a bad thing.

And I still might get an HK45.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-20-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Nice that there are options. All good. Also interesting to get how different guns appeal do different folks.

I used to have all three of these but disliked the PX4 and ditched it. Despite the forum’s enthusiasm for it, I could not bring myself to like the grip, and my copy was not as reliable as I liked.

But for a plastic gun with a superb trigger, the PX4 with a TJIB is the model to beat.
    Glad I'm not the only one!

I added the rubber talon grips and thought those were awful too and have taken them off. I have small-ish hands and even when the largest backstrap I felt the gun didn't fit my hand properly. It is a good fit for my wife and she says that it reminds her of her P225A1. I've been trying to find a PX4 compact locally to try, based on all the love I've read here (and the amount of mags & parts I've acquired for the full size!) but haven't had the cash when one came available or haven't wanted to pay the asking prices to test one out.

But I've pulled off shots with the P30L I could never do with any other gun, and during live fire it just sticks there if I do my part. Flattest shooting polymer framed 9mm I have. Which is saying something.
    I have a P30L setup for USPSA, and I do remember making some OMG shots with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Yeah, I’ve had that dream too - you try to pull the trigger but it’s either too heavy to will not break a shot. The only worse dream is showing up to class in your underwear.

Anyway, all of the platforms that you mention are reliable and accurate.
    I had no idea other people had this as a reoccurring dream. I've had them for at least 25 years now.

The P30 series trigger has a weird thing going on with it. The trigger on paper/dry fire sucks honestly. The reset is long, and the DA is long. But you can really snatch the trigger and it's fine. It's a great self defense gun and if you master it, it's even better. But I've pulled off shots with the P30L I could never do with any other gun, and during live fire it just sticks there if I do my part. Flattest shooting polymer framed 9mm I have. Which is saying something.
    My experiences are similar. My P30L’s shoot stupid flat in my hands. One of my favorite polymer pistols.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I had no idea other people had this as a reoccurring dream. I've had them for at least 25 years now.
    I never had the one where bullets hit but aren’t effective but I’ve had the one where the trigger is either too hard to pull or just doesn’t break no matter how long I pull it. I’ve found that if I keep up with my dry practice and hit the range periodically, the dreams go away. If my practice starts slacking, the dreams come back. The dreams might be a subconscious concern that one isn’t prepared/skilled enough to use their gun effectively.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I am not the most skilled shooter on this board .. so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Just starting using a timer about 10 Months ago and have made a lot of progress
    In becoming a better shooter ..my accuracy slow fire was also good.

The HK P30l and P30 with the stock DA/SA trigger system takes a little getting use too.
    But the rewards are a polymer pistol that is almost as accurate as some 1911's.

The 4 Round group was at 25 yards ..first round Da second round single action.
    The B-8 Target was the Test ..which is good for my skill set.
    P30's just seem to hit the sweat spot for me.
    Name:  DSCN0287.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  48.3 KB

User Tag List