Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got to try out a P30 vs. G17.5 vs. Px4 FS

I'm primarily concentrating on just 2 platforms this year for carry, duty (running a church security team in a major metro area) and IDPA-my P30L V1 LEM and Beretta 92D (with upgraded Wilson Combat components, Tool Tech/Trijicon sights and Langdon grips). Both platforms are inherently exceptionally accurate, but the DAO triggerpulls on both require extensive practice to consistently do well with.

Quite frankly, empirically I've found that I shoot two other platforms more easily (i.e., accurately, with a natural index, and probably faster)-Glocks (specifically, my Gen 3 G17 and Gen 3 G19) and my DA/SA Ruger P89 (which is freakishly accurate, has a beautiful triggerpull, and I index superbly with). However, I feel that the P30L with LEM and the Beretta 92D DAO are likely superior threat management tools, hence their top billing in my line-up.

This year, since my GSSF matches crashed and burned against the Wifely Review Board (being trumped by my IDPA regular and State matches and a fall hunting trip), my Glocks will likely receive very little holster and hammer (well, striker) time this year. Ditto with my 1911s and Hi Power. Revolvers will likely see one to two month's concentration (including a full-house (200 power factor floor) magnum revolver challenge IDPA match in June.

For me, the concentration on my church security team duty platforms makes sense, given the high chance of injury to bystanders in the event weapons come into play if I'm not dialed into my duty platform. Sometimes the "adult" decision trumps the more fun/hipster inclinations....

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    I call it my literal "nightmare" trigger, because it is exactly like those triggers in my nightmare where I am pulling the trigger all the way to the rear of the gun but nothing happens.
    Seriously?! I have dreams like this too. I'll pull and pull. It'll stack and stack. And... it feels like the trigger loses its connection or something. No shot.

But yeah, I feel you on the HK DA pull. I had an HK45c. Now, I tend to view the DA pull as kind of a "willing compromise"--you're sacrificing a bit of precision, for simplicity and safety. But the DA pull on that gun was so incredibly bad, I had a hard time taking the gun seriously. It was gritty, catch-y, heavy--all of the above. SA was okay. Reliability was 100%, and the gun was very mechanically accurate, from what I can tell. But... I didn't love it.

I will say I found the USPc 45 to have a MUCH better trigger. Like, night and day--it was actually a very nice DA/SA setup.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-23-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Seriously?! I have dreams like this too. I'll pull and pull. It'll stack and stack. And... it feels like the trigger loses its connection or something. No shot.
    Me too. Surely, we aren't all crazy. Right? Wait, is that something a crazy person would say?

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Me too. Surely, we aren't all crazy. Right? Wait, is that something a crazy person would say?
    It's nothing to worry about, voices in my head, we're just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm primarily concentrating on just 2 platforms this year for carry, duty (running a church security team in a major metro area) and IDPA-my P30L V1 LEM and Beretta 92D (with upgraded Wilson Combat components, Tool Tech/Trijicon sights and Langdon grips). Both platforms are inherently exceptionally accurate, but the DAO triggerpulls on both require extensive practice to consistently do well with.

Best, Jon
    Do you use the two guns interchangeably for "carry, duty, and IDPA", or do they split duties and do you use one gun for something and the other for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Do you use the two guns interchangeably for "carry, duty, and IDPA", or do they split duties and do you use one gun for something and the other for something else?
    I use one for 5-6 months, and then switch to the other. If the situation occurs where I would be better served by the other (or another) platform, I have some dedicated re-familiarization/practice time on that platform before carrying-but that's relatively rare. Basically, I'm concentrating only on one gun/platform for a concentrated period of time to near exclusivity.

The gun that's in the rotation gets used for everything-carry, duty, training, IDPA and nightstand home defense. Basically, I'm finding it better to configure holsters and magazine pouches to carry situations rather than switching guns. For each pistol I have at least a dedicated set of IWB and OWB holsters, and both a single and dual magazine pouches. For nightstand use, I have a Wilderness Safepacker (with a pre-positioned spare magazine enclosed) with a shoulder strap. These support equipment choices/packages give me a lot of flexibility with each specific pistol.

And while the lighter P30L is a tad bit easier to carry than the Beretta 92D, with judicious holster/belt choices carrying the Beretta is really not difficult or a hardship-and I'm not a huge guy,

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-24-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I use one for 5-6 months, and then switch to the other. ...
    Best, Jon
    Thanks.

User Tag List