Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a be-all end-all Load Data manual

Site Supporter
    Having multiple manuals is sound. I also like referencing the online resources of the various powder and bullet manufacturers. That tends to be more up-to-date than published manuals. Certain forums are good sources of into that may not be in manuals (especially for specialty loads like cast bullets or rare calibers).

A good book to get is Ken Waters' Pet Loads. It's a bit dated, but has lots of useful info.

Chris

Get a starting load for any (1) 124gr (2) RMJ (3) RN and work up.

Learn with more forgiving powders, ones that aren’t on the fast side of the burn rate charts.

It’s important to have a chronograph and to learn to read pressure signs on primers if you are going to play at the upper end of loading - something I strongly recommend against, at least until you are a lot more experienced.

I work with 9mm pistol powders that don’t have great load data (e.g. cross-reference with powder “X”). Load workups work. You can/will definitely see pressure signs (primer flow, primer flattening) with max+ loads on pistol, particularly if you use soft primers, specifically Federals.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List