Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Budgeting Software

Personal Budgeting Software

I think there's a segment here that are pretty budget/cost/finance savvy so I thought I'd ask...

I'm looking for some software, and Quickbooks may be it, that I can use to track spending and budgets for our family. Ideally what I'd like to have is something that automatically data-mines the various statements (checking account, credit cards) and also attempts to categorize the costs or that learns over time how I categorize them and starts to automate the process, but also allows me to override the classification (for example, Amazon purchase could be for the home, the kids, work, personal, etc. and I'd like the software to initially categorize them as "amazon" but then allow me to go in and re-categorize the cost to one or more types based on the recipt).

I have to assume something like this exists. I'm currently doing something similar in a spreadsheet but that requires a little more manual entry than I'd like and I'm hoping there's a way to automate more of it.

Anyone have anything they use and like?

There are several apps out there that do this. Dave Ramsay has one (Every Dollar), there's a popular app called "Mint" that does it, etc. Some are free, some are not. I've never found one that I thought was perfect, though I probably liked the Every Dollar app the best.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quicken does all of that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I use Mint. It has some wonky bits, but works pretty well for a free product.

Free...Which makes me wonder what they’re doing with my data on the backside...

Mostly trying to market financial services to me.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

YNAB: You Need A Budget, especially if you have Apple devices.

My family has been on it for 5 years now and we really like it. I chose it because Quicken products for Apple products didn't have as much functionality as the Windows based equivalent. I don't know if that still holds true. We still run the classic version which requires us to manually enter our transactions. Apparently the new subscription based software auto imports for you.

They do have a 4-rule methodology that's designed around buffer funds and getting you to spend last months earnings this month. The concepts very well laid out on their website and with YouTube videos. I'm sure you could use their software without following their method, but it's optimized around it.

I think their 4 rules integrate very will with Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps, and that's the hybrid approach we are taking.
    David S.

I've used Quicken for years and am too entrenched to change, but probably wouldn't select it if I were starting fresh. The software is dated and lacks cloud or mobile.

We use mint after reading the Ramsay books. Not 100% ideal but it works for our needs and lays it all out for us. Other than mislabeling "shooter's connection" as "Hooters" and throwing my wife for a loop it's been great.

It tracks expenses and allows you to set alerts for expenditures in certain categories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

If you use Windows you have plenty of choices; try Quicken, many people like it, and you'll find plenty of help. if you use Mac try Moneydance, which I'm currently using; support's good. If you remember your accounting classes, try GnuCash - it's free, but support's volunteer.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    I've used Quicken for years and am too entrenched to change, but probably wouldn't select it if I were starting fresh. The software is dated and lacks cloud or mobile.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud

https://www.quicken.com/content/stay...ted-your-money

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    We got a copy of You Need a Budget when it was on sale on Steam for like, $15. It's a lot of work getting things set up initially, but easy to use from that point forward. Plus, they offer free, live workshops on how to use the software, so you're not stuck digging through manuals and such.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List