Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the 'fight deck': Air marshals still updating training 17 years after 9/11

Welcome to the 'fight deck': Air marshals still updating training 17 years after 9/11

Practically everything about the Canadian Air Carrier Protective Program is a closely guarded secret, including how many officers the program trains every year. Born in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, this team of specially-trained officers was assembled to foil terrorist attacks on civilian flights. But in a rare event in the program's 17-year history, the RCMP recently lifted the curtain on one of its most covert units as it evolves with the changing nature of terrorism. While the goal remains the same — stopping the bad guys — the way they do the work has changed since 2001. The RCMP allowed journalists to visit the facility where Canada's most lethal frequent flyers come to train — the "fight deck," as they like to call it.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/in-f...ning-1.4604520

Pretty cool article. Interesting grip. RCMP should get Gabe in there on rotation. Bi-yearly strikes me as a limited qual cycle relative to US efforts. I love thw human swiss army knife quote. #newtshirtidea

From the article.

Name:  in-flight-safety-officer.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  54.2 KB

She may be 10 times the pistolero I am, she doubtlessly has more defensive tactics training than I. However, if she was in the range stall next to me and asked my opinion, I would tell her her support hand interface with the gun looked weird as hell.

Must be hard to keep a low profile wearing those red jackets and smokey the bear hats...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Interesting article. I have flown into Canada a hundred times or more and didn't even know this program existed. Restores a bit of faith in our friends to the North (despite the fact they burned our White House down).

This caught my eye however:

Because these officers confront armed assailants in close quarters, there's a risk of a stray bullet hitting another passenger or tearing through the cockpit. If the officer loses control of the situation, a rogue shot could turn the airplane into a missile.
    Just a little bit melodramatic IMHO - but it is the media......

It's also nice to see a former Continental DC-10 still in service (though not flying service)!
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-19-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: wording...

We have a female officer here that won her academy's firearms award. The competition includes static line shooting as well as a combat course that works on moving, thinking, and one hand skills. I won it also (different academy class) so I know it's not a cake walk like our quals are.

If I remember right, she had a goofy grip also.

Thanks for the article. I'd like to set up something similar only with church pews and such for church security training with those 3d dummy targets.

Nice article. I should know better than to read the comments but did it anyway. Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    From the article.

She may be 10 times the pistolero I am, she doubtlessly has more defensive tactics training than I. However, if she was in the range stall next to me and asked my opinion, I would tell her her support hand interface with the gun looked weird as hell.
    That might be why her thumbnail is black.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    One of the major players from this unit is a close friend of mine. We knew OF each other for years but actually met at Aim Fast Hit Fast. Awesome guy, incredible shooter. Personally responsible for several critical changes to the program which everyone here would agree with. One of a handful of guys I'd go to hell and back for.

It's funny just how few people know this even exists in Canada.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    From the article.

That's the grip is similar to what was taught with "Center Axis Relock" method of shooting back in the early 2000's.

User Tag List