Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vermont has fallen - Governor signed gun control bill

Thanks!

In your opinion, would they be worth contributing to....?

Truthfully, I don’t know much about them. I’m not a native Vermonter and have only been here for the past four years.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    No offense taken! In my opinion the right wing concern over immigration gets to the point of hysteria. Particularly, spending billions on a wall which I don’t believe will ever be completed and wouldn’t be effective if it was. I was also referring to pervading xenophobia against Arab people, not just Mexican immigration.
    Ah, the wall is easy... they can use the World War Z Israeli wall as the model. That way the only way over it is to scramble over top of each other stacking like ants. Relatively few actually make it over the top.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    @VT1032

@DanM

What, if any good organizations exist in the state level that are worthy of involvement?

I’ve been pretty occupied the last few years with ‘life’ stuff, and have fallen off the map of being informed about what’s going on, and this S55 really took me by surprise...

Short of emailing the governors office (like that will do anything) what other options are available?
    Gun Owners of VT and the Vermont Federation of Sportsman's Clubs are the ones that come to mind. I don't think we have a large grassroots network to oppose legislation, like in places like MA or CA, because we haven't needed it before, but I suspect that will change.

The Federation of Sportsman's Clubs in my previous experience seemed to be dominated by fudds, but they seem to have taken the lead on opposing a lot of this recent legislation. I've also met their president, Chris Bradley, a few times and he was not a fudd in the slightest and was doing a lot to bring new shooters into the fold. He used to and may still run NRA high power clinics, using his own guns and ammo and providing several competant instructors, charging only a modest fee to help cover ammo costs. They were really good classes for people new to shooting rifles (particularly without a military background) because he started with the basic fundamentals of marksmanship, taught them how to zero, and by the end had them landing hits on simulated 800m bullseyes (on a 300m range). I believe he also ran, or was heavily involved with the Northfield High School's rifle team, which is one of the only remaining high school teams in the state.

I believe both organizations are now involved in a lawsuit against S.55, so they probably will be incurring legal fees.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    @Dan_S I know that Gun Owners Of Vermont does a lot of lobbying regarding proposed laws and has a legal defense fund. I believe they are one of the plaintiffs in a suit against the state brought by the Vermont Federation of Sportsman’s Clubs intended to have the magazine ban struck down.
    An impression that I have about Vermont is until recently there probably wasn't any perceived threat over any types of firearms restrictions or bans. So the gunowners probably were not organized or active to oppose one.

For the longest time I remember Vermont as being a state that did not require a permit to carry concealed--long before there were other states that did so.

@DanM

You’re welcome to stay, just as long as you don’t bring the New York politics to the voting booth. .

Seriously, thanks for the information.

@VT1032

Excellent.

I made a small donation to their legal fund tonight.

If you have any other suggestions as to how to get a little more involved, I’d be all ears as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    @DanM

You’re welcome to stay, just as long as you don’t bring the New York politics to the voting booth. .

Seriously, thanks for the information.

@VT1032

Excellent.

I made a small donation to their legal fund tonight.

If you have any other suggestions as to how to get a little more involved, I’d be all ears as well.
    It probably won't make much difference from a legislative perspective, but UVM has a shooting sports club that is pretty active and competitive at the national level in trap and skeet as well as steel challenge. They have really good sucess pulling in people from places like MA, CT and NY that never otherwise would have gotten into shooting. They get some of their funding from the school, but much of it comes from donations and from selling shirts and stuff.

http://www.uvm.edu/~shootclb/?Page=store.html

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    CO and NJ, if wikipedia is correct have an accross the board limit of 15, not a split between rifles and handguns like in this law.
    Big difference between the two states. CO had some form of grandfather clause, where NJ does not.

As to those that asked about 15 round AR magazines, I have a few of these and they seem to work just fine.

https://hexmag.com/15-round-ar-magazines

User Tag List