Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vermont has fallen - Governor signed gun control bill

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    You know, I hadn’t even thought of that issue because 15 round AR mags aren’t too common, but throw a 5 round limiter in a 20 round mag and viola. How do they do it in CO and NJ? As of this moment, I haven’t seen any guidance on this question, likely because this thing wasn’t drafted by gun people who couldn’t have even understood this could be a concern.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    CO and NJ, if wikipedia is correct have an accross the board limit of 15, not a split between rifles and handguns like in this law.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    CO and NJ, if wikipedia is correct have an accross the board limit of 15, not a split between rifles and handguns like in this law.
    Sorry I should have been more clear. I just meant that there are lots of people having to deal with finding 15 round AR mags.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    LB, I enjoy your posts and I like reading what you have to say. So please don't take this the wrong way.

But what do you mean by scary brown immigration?

My girlfriend is Mexican (as in she is actually from Mexico). My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and he, like my gf, is from Mexico City. They both are concerned by illegal immigration, and they do not like when people from Mexico try to get America to change for them, instead of them (the immigrants) changing for America.

Again, this is not an attack on you, I just want to understand what you mean.
    No offense taken! In my opinion the right wing concern over immigration gets to the point of hysteria. Particularly, spending billions on a wall which I don’t believe will ever be completed and wouldn’t be effective if it was. I was also referring to pervading xenophobia against Arab people, not just Mexican immigration.

Ironically enough my most recent girlfriend was also Mexican and also much more conservative than me on the immigration issue.

Illegal immigration is a valid concern and issue that needs addressed. I was mocking the “build the wall” rhetoric, not denying the issue exists.

Hope that clarified things somewhat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Illegal immigration is a valid concern and issue that needs addressed. I was mocking the “build the wall” rhetoric, not denying the issue exists.
    So what is your plan for stopping illegal immigration? If people coming into this country don't have respect for U.S. law to begin with, they are less likely to learn respect for U.S. law, customs, history, and culture in the future and more likely to resist assimilation except in ways it directly benefits them -- regardless of what their home country is.

Vending Machine Operator

Vermont has fallen - Governor signed gun control bill

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    So what is your plan for stopping illegal immigration? If people coming into this country don't have respect for U.S. law to begin with, they are less likely to learn respect for U.S. law, customs, history, and culture in the future and more likely to resist assimilation except in ways it directly benefits them -- regardless of what their home country is.
    I don’t have a plan. I don’t know how to fly a helicopter either, but I know it shouldn’t be in the trees. It’s not 1990s Berlin, the border is absolutely massive and a wall will cost billions and billions, not just to build, but perpetually to staff and maintain, with no evidence it would actually staunch the flow of illegal immigration.

That’s not even mentioning the second a Democrat administration/congress got power they’d de-fund the thing immediately.

As a starting point I’d say actually enforcing the law and deporting would be good in most cases. I’d also like to see extreme penalties for businesses knowingly employing illegal immigrants or failing to do due diligence on the legal status of their employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-20-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I don’t have a plan.
    I don't either, I was hoping you did.

As a starting point I’d say actually enforcing the law and deporting would be good in most cases. I’d also like to see extreme penalties for businesses knowingly employing illegal immigrants or failing to do due diligence on the legal status of their employees.
    Okay, let's do that. Of course, enforcing and deporting assumes the people were caught/stopped in the first place. If we just had a way to prevent them from entering illegally to begin with... wait... dammit.

I don’t have a plan.
    Walls may crumble but landmines last forever ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Walls may crumble but landmines last forever ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Too true. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay, let's do that. Of course, enforcing and deporting assumes the people were caught/stopped in the first place. If we just had a way to prevent them from entering illegally to begin with... wait... dammit.
    I've got to ask - I mean this in all sincerity. Have you traversed, on foot, or by car, the terrain where the "wall" will be built?

I ask this, because wall advocates act like building a wall is as easy as paying for it. Without, really comprehending the magnitude of this proposed undertaking. The US-Mexico border is roughly 10.3 million feet long. And it encompasses terrain that in some places, makes the moon look tame. Seriously, this isn't like building a wall across Nebraska or even the Great Wall of China. This particular terrain is brutally rough and inhospitable in many places. To get people and equipment out to build a wall, will take millions in infrastructural development alone. Not counting the cost of said wall and staffing and maintaining it.

"The wall" is really an absolutely ridiculous concept. It's untenable, not only because of terrain, but because of infrastructural and legal challenges (not even addressed yet, are the lawsuits that will come from Environmentalist groups, who have the long-established Endangered Species Act to use to stop wall construction).

A high percentage of illegal aliens are detained/stopped but legal issues prevent them from being deported in a timely fashion. It's my opinion that one of the better solutions for this issue comes from fines. Fining illegal immigrants when caught, fining employers of illegal immigrants when caught. And the secondary solution is easier routes to legal immigration that don't make illegal immigration look like the better alternative.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ... stuff you typed
    I didn't express an opinion on the wall one way or another. Another member made a statement obviously in opposition and I wanted to know if he had a better plan. And I'm in favor of stricter enforcement and fining employers of illegals. Current methods aren't working very well.

User Tag List