Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vermont has fallen - Governor signed gun control bill

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    There is nothing wrong with people from Brooklyn, BTW - or at least some of us.

Hear, hear!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    It infects BOTH parties. Remember the PATRIOT Act right after 9/11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. Both sides use scary issues (guns, scary brown immigrants, terrorism) to curtail civil rights without caring much about whether there is evidence that the proposed solution does more good than harm. The PATRIOT Act ushered in a vastly empowered police state, arguably worse than a few more successful terrorist attacks, and gun control criminalizes people who were never a threat while enabling those who are.

Powerful people don't like little people getting uppity about their rights.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The dangerous thing is when these bans and limitations take place on state levels, not being able to own or buy more of certain products will be seen as the norm in those states. This will eventually carry over to how some of the people in the state vote in national elections, because they will see not being able to own ARs or 30 round mags as the norm, or something that they may have never had the chance to do.

In this state this will normalize not being able to own certain magazines or firearms and soon the residents won't care if their congressmen or senators vote that way on a national level.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The mag ban seems just strange
    Yeah, no shit... Despite being unenforceable, it also raises some interesting legal questions since 15rnd mags are legal for handguns, but only 10rnds are allowed for rifles. Define what makes a handgun magazine a handgun magazine. Is a pmag a handgun magazine if I own an AR Pistol? If so, can I own a 15rnd AR mag (if such a thing exists...)? What if I own an AR pistol and an AR rifle? Can I still have a 15rnd pmag? What about rifles that take glock mags?

It's the same arguement I had from the ages of 18-21 with walmart clerks aplenty... What constitutes a handgun round? If I own a 9mm rifle, can I purchase 9mm ammunition? What about .22LR?

Hell, what about .30-06? Rifle round? What if I own this?
    Name:  F1012thompsonEncore01.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  28.1 KB

This is what you get when you allow dipshit politicians who have never touched a firearm to dictate what you need. Also, as a side note, every single state senator that voted for this bill was not a native born Vermonter. It really says something. Massholes, New Yorkers and Jersey types have utterly ruined this state. We need to build a wall alright... Hell, I'm a California transplant, but there is no way I'd go back there, and it pains me to see what California ex-pats are doing to Texas and the PacNW.
    Last edited by VT1032; 04-19-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    The dangerous thing is when these bans and limitations take place on state levels, not being able to own or buy more of certain products will be seen as the norm in those states. This will eventually carry over to how some of the people in the state vote in national elections, because they will see not being able to own ARs or 30 round mags as the norm, or something that they may have never had the chance to do.

In this state this will normalize not being able to own certain magazines or firearms and soon the residents won't care if their congressmen or senators vote that way on a national level.
    You're spot on. In fact, Governor Flip Flop said the exact same thing shortly before signing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Hear, hear!
    Hear .hear ..me too !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Yep. Both sides use scary issues (guns, scary brown immigrants, terrorism) to curtail civil rights without caring much about whether there is evidence that the proposed solution does more good than harm. The PATRIOT Act ushered in a vastly empowered police state, arguably worse than a few more successful terrorist attacks, and gun control criminalizes people who were never a threat while enabling those who are.

Powerful people don't like little people getting uppity about their rights.
    LB, I enjoy your posts and I like reading what you have to say. So please don't take this the wrong way.

But what do you mean by scary brown immigration?

My girlfriend is Mexican (as in she is actually from Mexico). My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and he, like my gf, is from Mexico City. They both are concerned by illegal immigration, and they do not like when people from Mexico try to get America to change for them, instead of them (the immigrants) changing for America.

Again, this is not an attack on you, I just want to understand what you mean.

Site Supporter
    Many Republicans are actually liberals, and most Democrats are leftists not liberals. I disagree with liberals on some things (they want too much government), but they are not the enemy of the American way or seriously damaging to the country. The problem is they do not fight the left enough, and they let themselves get caught up in the heard mentality on certain issues.

I think Dennis Prager says it best. Sort of paraphrasing here... "There are two parties, the destructive party (Democrats) and the stupid party (Republicans)".

Oh and many of them are flat out cowards.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 04-20-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Yeah, no shit... Despite being unenforceable, it also raises some interesting legal questions since 15rnd mags are legal for handguns, but only 10rnds are allowed for rifles. Define what makes a handgun magazine a handgun magazine. Is a pmag a handgun magazine if I own an AR Pistol? If so, can I own a 15rnd AR mag (if such a thing exists...)? What if I own an AR pistol and an AR rifle? Can I still have a 15rnd pmag? What about rifles that take glock mags?

It's the same arguement I had from the ages of 18-21 with walmart clerks aplenty... What constitutes a handgun round? If I own a 9mm rifle, can I purchase 9mm ammunition? What about .22LR?

Hell, what about .30-06? Rifle round? What if I own this?
    Name:  F1012thompsonEncore01.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  28.1 KB

This is what you get when you allow dipshit politicians who have never touched a firearm to dictate what you need. Also, as a side note, every single state senator that voted for this bill was not a native born Vermonter. It really says something. Massholes, New Yorkers and Jersey types have utterly ruined this state. We need to build a wall alright... Hell, I'm a California transplant, but there is no way I'd go back there, and it pains me to see what California ex-pats are doing to Texas and the PacNW.
    You know, I hadn’t even thought of that issue because 15 round AR mags aren’t too common, but throw a 5 round limiter in a 20 round mag and viola. How do they do it in CO and NJ? As of this moment, I haven’t seen any guidance on this question, likely because this thing wasn’t drafted by gun people who couldn’t have even understood this could be a concern.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    You know, I hadn’t even thought of that issue because 15 round AR mags aren’t too common, but throw a 5 round limiter in a 20 round mag and viola. How do they do it in CO and NJ? As of this moment, I haven’t seen any guidance on this question, likely because this thing wasn’t drafted by gun people who couldn’t have even understood this could be a concern.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    A 30 round Pmag suddenly becomes a 10 rounder when used in a 50 Beowulf...

User Tag List