Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vermont has fallen - Governor signed gun control bill

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Take One World Trade Center in New York City. It took us twelve years after 9/11 to rebuild one building. And that was a project with overwhelming public support and approval that was barely controversial.
    I'm not trying to argue one way or another on this wall issue, but I don't think you can compare a massive public project (i.e. the wall) with a largely private commercial development (the rebuilding of the World Trade Center).

You also say there was little controversy, but that isn't true either. It took a long time to formulate the scope of the memorial that people could agree on. This had to be done before any other planning could be started in earnest.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNobody View Post
    I'm not trying to argue one way or another on this wall issue, but I don't think you can compare a massive public project (i.e. the wall) with a largely private commercial development (the rebuilding of the World Trade Center).

You also say there was little controversy, but that isn't true either. It took a long time to formulate the scope of the memorial that people could agree on. This had to be done before any other planning could be started in earnest.
    I actually think private industry tends to be more efficient than government, not less. And as controversial as OWTC may have been, as controversial as the border wall? I doubt that quite a lot.

I could be totally wrong about all of this, wouldn't be the first time, but my experience of government does not give me a lot of confidence that a gigantic impregnable wall hundreds of miles long would be an especially feasible process. Flint still doesn't even have water.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I think I started a thread drift.

E verify, punish businesses who hire illegals, end the welfare state, build a wall where it needs to be built, end birth right citizenship.

As far as brown people fear. I don't know too many people scared of brown people, but I do know a lot of people who fear immigrants not adopting the values of American culture and not assimilating. All races are equal, all cultures are not.

On (sorta) topic, while Vermont is getting infected by leftism in regard to guns, they did produce an amazing president back in the 20s.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    People will always go for the prize. Always. Unstoppably.

If we made being here illegally less of a prize, the way, say, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand do, the flow would shrink dramatically without any walls.

As said earlier, the wall is a "do something" that does nothing except piss off the other side and create a vast transfer of wealth from future generations to construction contractors today, even to the point of threatening the long-term sovereignty of this country. Well, I guess that is something after all...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I actually think private industry tends to be more efficient than government, not less. And as controversial as OWTC may have been, as controversial as the border wall? I doubt that quite a lot.

I could be totally wrong about all of this, wouldn't be the first time, but my experience of government does not give me a lot of confidence that a gigantic impregnable wall hundreds of miles long would be an especially feasible process. Flint still doesn't even have water.
    Totally agree.......

If it is somehow built, it will end up costing 5 times more than originally estimated, and take 3 times longer to build.
    Last edited by ImNobody; 04-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    I know a bit about border security and illegal immigration.

A wall along the entire border is a gigantic waste of money and resources. Walls are only as effective as the force you have patrolling them. A wall by itself is nothing more than a speed bump, people will go over, under and through it.

Walls and fences are most effective on the border in urban areas when heavily patrolled or with quick response times to cameras and sensors. We already have walls and fencing in these areas.

In remote areas, a wall wil not be anymore effective than the Rio Grande river or the rougher terrain in areas of CA, AZ and NM. People already die regularly in the Rio, the desert and the mountains. Unless you are going to truly militarize the border and start shooting people trying to cross illegally like East Germany used to the Trump wall is bullshit.

Illegal immigration is a real problem. If you want to address it for real here are some suggestions:

1) Withdaw the U.S. from the UN Convention Against Torture (CAT) and let the U.S. set its own standards for who get asylum. If you are an MS-13 gang member in a wheelchair because you were the loser in a shootout with American cops, the fact that Salvadoran cops might kill you because of your MS 13 tattoos is not a reason you should get to stay here (true story). Failing that, actually enforce the safe third country provisions of CAT. If you passed through 5 safe countries to get to the U.S. but failed to request asylum in any of them along the way you are not an seeking asylum. You are just a liar trying to scam your way into the United States.

2) Hire more ICE Attorneys, Special AUSA’s for immigration prosecutions and more immigration judges and federal judges. While you ate at it, find a way to streamline litigation. Due process has its limits. There is no reason deportation proceedings should drag on for years, much less 10 or 20 years.

3) More detention space for DHS and the U.S. Marshals service. Stop rewarding aliens who abscond or don’t show up for court.

4) Eliminate adjustment of status (issuing green cards) to anyone illegally present in the U.S. It simply rewards people who overstay or otherwise break the law. Foreign student gets married while studying here legally? Give them a green card here, no problem. But if you are here illegally, whether you entered illegally or you entered legally and never left, you should not be rewarded for cutting the line. You should have to leave and come back in.

4) Get serious about going after employers who hire illegals.

5) Get serious about supporting / partnering with Mexico to detain and deport third country nationals passing through Mexico before they get to the U.S. Pressure Mexico or cut them slack on immigration for their citizens if necessary, put all the political, diplomatic and economic clout you would waste on a wall into this.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-21-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Flint did have water. The neo-conservatives in Michigan privatized the city’s water system, and they thought it would be cheaper to take water from the river, without considering whether not it would have an effect on the pipes.

Traditional government was delivering good water to the residents of Flint.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

@VT1032

@DanM

What, if any good organizations exist in the state level that are worthy of involvement?

I’ve been pretty occupied the last few years with ‘life’ stuff, and have fallen off the map of being informed about what’s going on, and this S55 really took me by surprise...

Short of emailing the governors office (like that will do anything) what other options are available?

Site Supporter
    I do think we should be careful about comparing the Berlin wall vs the present/proposed wall on the southern border. The have/had two entirely different purposes.

And yes, in general the private companies and people make decisions on how to interact produces better results than government interference does.

Vermont has fallen - Governor signed gun control bill

@Dan_S I know that Gun Owners Of Vermont does a lot of lobbying regarding proposed laws and has a legal defense fund. I believe they are one of the plaintiffs in a suit against the state brought by the Vermont Federation of Sportsman’s Clubs intended to have the magazine ban struck down.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 04-21-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List