Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safariland Mid Ride Adapter "Flop"

Safariland Mid Ride Adapter "Flop"

I just picked up a KT Mech Akela holster for my USP Tactical, as they were the only people who made a Safariland-compatible holster for it with an X300 attached, and I'm discovering that my usual QLS setup isn't playing nice with a friction draw. On my ALS holsters, there are no issues whatsoever, but with a friction-draw holster, the holster has a tendency to "flop" right around the belt loops as I draw, poking me in the side and making for a very inconsistent draw.

Are there any solutions to this that don't involve moving the whole thing to a drop-leg platform? I'm thinking I may end up having to buy another QLS plate and attach it to a belt loop for use with this gun instead of leaving it at mid ride height like I prefer, but I'm not sure whether or not there are any better options out there.

I have a trex ragnarock with the qls and ubl mid-ride. I took the advice of Trex and used their legstrap. It is sandwiched in between the qls and the ragnarock. Works well and holster does not flop around. Also prefer the single strap to a full leg drop holster.

Sorry for the junk pic. But this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been a huge fan of thigh straps but I'll give that a shot. $15 isn't enough for me to lose sleep over if it doesn't quite work out for me, and I tagged a QLS receiver along on the order just in case it doesn't and I need to go back to high/belt ride.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of thigh straps but I'll give that a shot. $15 isn't enough for me to lose sleep over if it doesn't quite work out for me, and I tagged a QLS receiver along on the order just in case it doesn't and I need to go back to high/belt ride.
    I agree on the leg strap. But I really liked the ride height with ubl. It seemed like a good enough compromise. I also installed a qls on a belt slide. So that way I can click the holster into a belt slide instead of mid ride if need be. Once again not perfect but is quick and easy when I do not need or want the mid ride on and still use my holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the mid-ride duty belt mount, or the belt slide that comes with the 6378 or 7378 “concealment” holsters? The duty belt mount really should be used with a traditional 2.25” duty belt and will flop around if used on smaller belts. Safariland has a spacer for 2” belts, but anything smaller really isn’t optimal.

The other potential issue is the location of the mounting nuts on the holster shell. The OE Safariland duty holsters have their mounting bolts near the muzzle, so the mid-ride mount usually results in the grip being somewhere near the top of the belt. Many aftermarket shells have the mount higher, near the rear sight (battle belt pictured above) resulting in a much lower ride height. These lower ride heights are nearing the ride height of the DFA setup Safariland sells, and need similar levels of stabilization.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

It's the Safariland component that's bending, right? If so a Boss Hanger or Invictus Practical hanger might be the ticket.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The Safariland UBL is pretty rigid. It's more that the moment arm from the dropped offset location of the gun means that when you draw, the UBL will try to cant outwards away from your leg, especially if the belt is a little floppy. The leg strap helps prevent that by keeping it all tight to your thigh.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Are you talking about the mid-ride duty belt mount, or the belt slide that comes with the 6378 or 7378 “concealment” holsters? The duty belt mount really should be used with a traditional 2.25” duty belt and will flop around if used on smaller belts. Safariland has a spacer for 2” belts, but anything smaller really isn’t optimal.

The other potential issue is the location of the mounting nuts on the holster shell. The OE Safariland duty holsters have their mounting bolts near the muzzle, so the mid-ride mount usually results in the grip being somewhere near the top of the belt. Many aftermarket shells have the mount higher, near the rear sight (battle belt pictured above) resulting in a much lower ride height. These lower ride heights are nearing the ride height of the DFA setup Safariland sells, and need similar levels of stabilization.
    I'm using the 2" UBL duty belt mount with a Safariland spacer insert to tighten it down a little around my 1.5" Ares Aegis belt. Safariland may be changing their mounting patterns though; I have a 7TS ALS holster for my P30L as well and the bolts are in pretty much the same place as my KT Mech USP holster. Put 'em side by side and they ride about evenly.

I still have the belt slide that came with my 7TS ALS holster; I'll attach the QLS receiver I bought to one as a temporary solution in case I need to have the gun ride up higher.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It's the Safariland component that's bending, right? If so a Boss Hanger or Invictus Practical hanger might be the ticket.
    Yeah, the drop platform rotates around the belt and flexes the belt vertically when I draw from a friction retention holster. I remember looking into the Invictus Practical hangar at one point. The HHS with a Tek-Lok might be something I try if the leg strap thing doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Yeah, the drop platform rotates around the belt and flexes the belt vertically when I draw from a friction retention holster. I remember looking into the Invictus Practical hangar at one point. The HHS with a Tek-Lok might be something I try if the leg strap thing doesn't work out.

That's kinda what I had been thinking. Seen it many times over.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

What is the use for this rig- gaming, training, etc...?

Safariland puts the mounting flange in different spots- duty holsters mount near the muzzle end, while the "concealment" ones (6377, 7378, etc..) mount much higher, with the top bolts near the rear sight. I think you're mixing stuff that really isn't meant to work together, between a duty hanger on a 1.5" belt with a concealment height holster shell on a QLS fork. I'm not saying they can't be made to work, but when you add those factors together, I can't say I'm surprised the outcome isn't quite what you hoped for.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List