Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tips for working on shooting on the run/sprint

SC_Dave,

Smoothing the movement is key to keeping the wobble zone minimized and on an acceptable target zone in order to work with a continuous patient trigger press.

There is another way to do it if your movement is jacked and creates moments of wobble out of the target zone, but it's tricky. Having made the decision to fire and with the gun basically on target, be on the trigger, pressing when on target, not pressing when off target. You have to keep reading your sights/dot so you know when that is. Fire the shot 'now' at a moment the sights are on (not during a jerky moment.) You need an excellent trigger press and no anticipation. Difficult but another way.

I would also suggest that as you are first trying to make shooting on the move/run work, avoid adding complicating elements. One target, not two with a resultant transition. And put it quite a bit closer than 12 yards. I start people at 5 yards on full silhouette when they first try shooting on the move, both walking and running. Extend and increase the difficulty always, but start with something more doable.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    SC_Dave,

Smoothing the movement is key to keeping the wobble zone minimized and on an acceptable target zone in order to work with a continuous patient trigger press.

There is another way to do it if your movement is jacked and creates moments of wobble out of the target zone, but it's tricky. Having made the decision to fire and with the gun basically on target, be on the trigger, pressing when on target, not pressing when off target. You have to keep reading your sights/dot so you know when that is. Fire the shot 'now' at a moment the sights are on (not during a jerky moment.) You need an excellent trigger press and no anticipation. Difficult but another way.

I would also suggest that as you are first trying to make shooting on the move/run work, avoid adding complicating elements. One target, not two with a resultant transition. And put it quite a bit closer than 12 yards. I start people at 5 yards on full silhouette when they first try shooting on the move, both walking and running. Extend and increase the difficulty always, but start with something more doable.
    Thank you Gabe.

You're welcome Dave! I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 04-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Breezed through the thread rather quickly. Having said that, footwork, rhythm and core is key mechanically. Work on it, A LOT, especially if you are a person with heavy, or two left feet. Stay on the front sight.
    Last edited by Surf; 04-23-2018 at 02:43 PM.

User Tag List