Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for working on shooting on the run/sprint

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When it’s time to run, RUN !.
    I tend to agree with this. Outside of controlled environments, loss of the ground in the peripheral vision and trip hazards, tends to throw a wrench in the works of moving fast and shooting.

That said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14UN...uwdAEg&index=1

Who'd a thunk that I'd actually learn something useful in high school marching band. There really isn't any difference between moving and playing an instrument and shooting a gun. Around the 3:00 minute mark there's a really important piece of advise about stepping with "Equal space, over equal time, all the time". For me, the mechanics of walking and shooting and running and shooting are close to the same, just at a different cadence. When I need to move faster than my footwork, it's just time to run/sprint.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

There are two things getting intertwined here, that I think are somewhat separate elements: the mechanical viability of shooting while running, and how frequently/what kind of circumstances support that as a good idea in the real world. The skill is able to be built. It is, no doubt, not a broad-application skill. That's very different from saying there is no place for it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    There are two things getting intertwined here, that I think are somewhat separate elements: the mechanical viability of shooting while running, and how frequently/what kind of circumstances support that as a good idea in the real world. The skill is able to be built. It is, no doubt, not a broad-application skill. That's very different from saying there is no place for it.
    Very true. SOTM is a useful skill to be built. When to use it is a different story. I do not know what the "real world" is but it does help sometimes. Check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJ3v0ClJf8
    Last edited by cheby; 04-19-2018 at 11:13 AM.

yes - this is very much in line with what I believe/ my purpose for asking the question in the first place. Completely aware at the super low likelihood in combination with the "it's probably not a great idea to shoot while running in a public place anyway" but I was mainly interested in finding if this skill can be built, and what are the preferred methods to progressing it.

Site Supporter
    Perhaps one reason this skill has not been stressed is that an important purpose of running is seeking cover as rapidly as possible and without interruptions. Another might be that during the revolver era when capacity was 5 or 6 rounds, shooting while moving may have been seen as unwise use of ammo. A third might be that some ranges would view the activity as unsafe. But none mean that the skill is not useful.

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    yes - this is very much in line with what I believe/ my purpose for asking the question in the first place. Completely aware at the super low likelihood in combination with the "it's probably not a great idea to shoot while running in a public place anyway" but I was mainly interested in finding if this skill can be built, and what are the preferred methods to progressing it.
    Cool!

I think for a lot of people, given their level of ongoing training and practice, it is a great idea to shoot or move, or move-then-shoot, or shoot-then-move, etc. That's very high percentage stuff. For people who are going to practice and build the skill to be able to shoot well while moving faster than a walk, it can be viable in the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Another might be that during the revolver era when capacity was 5 or 6 rounds, shooting while moving may have been seen as unwise use of ammo
    I bet they had the same 'bad idea for non-enthusiasts vs. might be viable if a person will work for it' breakdown back then too. Imagine my surprise when I first read Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, to find the shooting on the run section...I'll have to go back and look again because it has been a long time, but I think I remember an awful lot of commonality with the methods presented there.
    Lord of the Food Court

Also: since most of us don't have access to moving targets, SOTM drills provide some training that carries over. Obviously when we move, it's not directly comparable to when the target moves (or both), but I find it helpful.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

For me, the most core aspect of shooting while moving faster, is to continue using the sights and not accept a coarser aiming reference.
    I totally agree, Gabe. Can I edit your post to say "the most core aspect of shooting faster, is to continue using the sights and not accept a coarser aiming reference?

Over the past few months, I've been working on 1) how to make the sights settle more quickly and predictably, and 2) following the trajectory and oscillation of the sights following a draw, turn & draw, transition, movement, etc.

Drills that purposely cause the sights to move are helping me become comfortable with a dynamic sight picture, and that has made my shooting faster, while still accurate.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-19-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Drills that purposely cause the sights to move are helping me become comfortable with a dynamic sight picture, and that has made my shooting faster, while still accurate.
    Absolutely agree!
    Lord of the Food Court

I am using a red dot. I am also more comfortable with a less than ideal while moving sight picture with irons than I am with loss of dot or dot not in ideal position in relation to target. I am wondering if the principle is the same I just don't have enough shooting while on the move reps with the dot to understand and accept that reasonable margin of error in alignment. Does this make sense?

User Tag List