Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for working on shooting on the run/sprint

Tips for working on shooting on the run/sprint

Anyone have some tips to practice shooting on the run/sprint? I can do it well while walking in multiple directions but would like to increase my speed without completely abandoning accuracy. @Mr_White anything you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Anyone have some tips to practice shooting on the run/sprint? I can do it well while walking in multiple directions but would like to increase my speed without completely abandoning accuracy. @Mr_White anything you would recommend?
    For me, the most core aspect of shooting while moving faster, is to continue using the sights and not accept a coarser aiming reference.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    For me, the most core aspect of shooting while moving faster, is to continue using the sights and not accept a coarser aiming reference.
    Wow - not what I would have expected but I will begin with that! Thank you.

I have heard, but have only tried it walking, to move as quickly as possible while holding a full glass of water. Best done outside and with a glass of very expensive brandy or tequila for increased motivation.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Per JJ, conceptually separate your upper and lower body. Focus on different lower body movement (heal/toe, different length series) as the distances to target and to cover dictate. Never compromise sights and trigger in your upper body, unless you are willing to accept reduced accuracy. Grip the gun hard, prep the trigger aggressively. Practice all this a lot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    The above info is all valid regarding shooting on the move i.e. up to a quick walk.

The OP asked about shooting at a run /sprint.

Everything I have learned and exoerienced says shooting while actually running / sprinting is not recommended.

When it’s time to run, RUN !

I know Pat Mac and others even teach going to “football carry” for long guns in order to run more efficiently.

There’s a reason bounding overwatch is a thing.

I'd certainly stipulate that I don't really practice or teach shooting while sprinting. It is however, not walking. It's a relaxed run. But one can definitely shoot well while running, circumstance and shooter-dependent
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    With Gabe's instruction some guys can get going pretty heckin fast with accurate hits.

The trick for me was making perhaps fewer shots but paying more attention to getting them right and I found running to my non dominant side and shooting one handed was easier than two hands at a run to my dominant side.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I like this thread. I need all the help I can get in this area. At 63 with one bionic knee and one bad knee the dot is pretty bouncy when moving.
    David

Great tips guys, I really appreciate it! Glad this could help others as well.

User Tag List