Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nitrided Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley by WMD Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I used the same holster (Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake w/o cartridge loops) to carry the SBH Bisley last summer in Alaska. That setup is surprisingly easy to carry and conceal.

Very nice. What is the cylinder loaded with? That looks like a nice load, about as long an OAL that will work and a very WFN.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDF View Post
    Very nice. What is the cylinder loaded with? That looks like a nice load, about as long an OAL that will work and a very WFN.
    In the cylinder:
    Buffalo Bore 340gr lead hard cast. It chronos out of this gun at 1363 fps

In the belt slide:
    My hand loads of Barnes 220gr XPB over 13 gr 800X at 1381 fps.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I just spoke to the guy who worked on my Bisley. He mentioned small areas can become to brittle and chip, so maybe safer not exposing the threads on the barrel and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    In the cylinder:
    Buffalo Bore 340gr lead hard cast. It chronos out of this gun at 1363 fps

In the belt slide:
    My hand loads of Barnes 220gr XPB over 13 gr 800X at 1381 fps.
    Those are some very warm loads. It is amazing that the Buffalo Bore load generates that velocity out of a 3 3/4" barrel I think I remember Jeff Quinn shooting some out of a Bisley in his video review.

My loads that I am going to chrono tomorrow are quite mild, especially compared to those loads. They will only be about 980 to 1000 fps out of the Bisley and 1150 to 1180 out of my Henry Big Boy with a MBC 240gr coated HC RNFP.
    Last edited by DAVIDF; 04-20-2018 at 01:26 PM.

May I inquire as to turnaround time?

It was about 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDF View Post
    I just spoke to the guy who worked on my Bisley. He mentioned small areas can become to brittle and chip, so maybe safer not exposing the threads on the barrel and frame.
    It brings up a question for me. Nitriding is a very high heat process. So high in fact that it can undo heat treating. Might not be a good thing for a revolver? I know several custom rifle builders that will not Nitride their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    It brings up a question for me. Nitriding is a very high heat process. So high in fact that it can undo heat treating. Might not be a good thing for a revolver? I know several custom rifle builders that will not Nitride their actions.
    I don't know for sure. Charter Arms now nitride treats some of their revolvers. A number of parts can't be treated such as springs and the trigger. The springs won't withstand the heat and the sear will be too brittle.

I'll find out over time as this is my most heavily used handgun.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Yeah, I wonder about the heat relaxing the tension on the barrel threads.

http://www.customar15.net/ar-15-faq/...barrels-equal/

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....treated-barrel
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hmmm...

Attachment 25575

Lipsey's photo, but inpiring "super mega ultra ghey"-ness for a product is fair use, right?
    Can you still get the .357 version of this? I couldn't find it last time I looked.

User Tag List