Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEM variant questions

Sorry - I had my head somewhere it shouldn't have been! : )

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I agree whole-heartedly. I had Bill Springfield do one of his jobs on my first HK45C. It was just as light and sweet as my USPf Combat Competition.

~~ second time I touched a round off before getting fully lined up, I changed the mainspring back ~~
    I hope you subscribe to the "press out" method. (Probably do, judging by the fact you are here) Nothing more embarrassing than landing a round near your foot.... That's exactly why I think light lem is ...well....too light. This combined with the latest trend in AIWB carry, makes me really stay away from light LEM.

I envy your USPf CC. I want one myself. I'm currently scheming to build a normal 9mm USPf with CC (match + light LEM) trigger as a range gun. Or I may get an 1911 ...or sig 239....or ...... Well..... USP with CC is one of the models higher on my list.

Sorry for the off topic.

JodyH,

when you run the V2 are you still using only the pad of your trigger finger during the pull, or do you modify and use more? When I first started shooting the V2 I was throwing shots left, and some a little low...during dry fire sessions i noticed that if i use only the pad of my trigger finger like i do with 1911's and other guns in SA mode, my front sight moves a little at times...it just seems really inconsistent. Fast foward several range trips later I started using alot more trigger finger to counteract the heavier pull (I basically touch the very edge of the trigger with the first finger joint) and shooting it with more consistency and better results.

Am I just masking bad technique and need to learn to shoot the heavier trigger with the nail portion of my finger, or is it not really a big deal?
    Last edited by Shapap; 02-10-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapap View Post
    JodyH,

when you run the V2 are you still using only the pad of your trigger finger during the pull, or do you modify and use more? When I first started shooting the V2 I was throwing shots left, and some a little low...during dry fire sessions i noticed that if i use only the pad of my trigger finger like i do with 1911's and other guns in SA mode, my front sight moves a little at times...it just seems really inconsistent. Fast foward several range trips later I started using alot more trigger finger to counteract the heavier pull (I basically touch the very edge of the trigger with the first finger joint) and shooting it with more consistency and better results.

Am I just masking bad technique and need to learn to shoot the heavier trigger with the nail portion of my finger, or is it not really a big deal?
    I just shoot.
    I honestly cannot tell you what part of my finger presses the trigger.
    Press the trigger without disturbing the sights, whatever it takes to do that quickly and consistently is the right way to do it.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Ok cool, Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kennjen View Post
    I hope you subscribe to the "press out" method. (Probably do, judging by the fact you are here) Nothing more embarrassing than landing a round near your foot.... That's exactly why I think light lem is ...well....too light. This combined with the latest trend in AIWB carry, makes me really stay away from light LEM.
    Yup. My finger doesn't go near the trigger until I'm at "step 3"; hands coming together and starting the press-out. Both rounds went safely downrange, but if it had been for real, something would have gotten hit that I didn't intend to get hit. Can't have that.

I ended up selling my USPf CC. I shot it one time in a 3-gun match, where it excelled. That fiber optic front sight LEAPS out at you in bright sunlight. But since my range time is mainly used for my EDC piece practice, and bullseye practice, I pulled the CC out of the safe maybe twice in the year following that match. A pal wanted it bad, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Ok I installed the light firing pin block spring and the 12lb hammer spring (214300), and wow its so much nicer now. I haven't got to shoot it on the range yet, but so far with dry firing it feels a lot smoother and a huge step toward what I am wanting out of this pistol.

I've been reading through all of Toddg's P30 logs and noticed a section in there where he was talking about lubing/greasing some key points within the pistol which helped shave another pound or so off the trigger break. Anyone know what these key areas are? This would my holy grail point really. I like the forcefulness of the heavy return spring, but if I could get the breaking point to six pounds or just under I would be happier than a kid in a candy store. I don't have a trigger scale, but this still feels like i'm pretty close to that seven pound range, maybe a shade under, which I could train through...but a slightly lighter break would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapap View Post
    I found the guide on hkpro.com and changing out the spring doesn't look as hard as I thought it was going to be, so I'm gonna go ahead and order the light FPBS and play with it. If I don't like it, it seems easy enough to switch back.

Any chance you have the link handy??

I've really enjoyed this threads. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Ken

User Tag List