Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Should You Be The Hero?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    I had a slightly different take on Greg's article.

I read it as to think long and hard about using deadly force in defense of a stranger, especially against someone that is un-armed. I'm not so sure he was advocating not coming to the aid of the officer as he concluded with:
    Correct.

The exhortation there was that if you are the kind of person who believes in stopping an event like this, it would be wise for you to invest in bringing your skillsets in multiple areas up to the level of problem you are going to intervene with.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm not sure he is advancing the subject all that much by suggesting pepper spray to possibly also disable the LEO too so he/she can't help in return when the PCP dude turns on the good Samaritan.
    I hated cops whose first attempt at a helpful response was to spray OC into the scrum.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Not that the other commentaries here aren’t informative; yet,I believe the intent here is to curb the unfortunately commonplace attitude that strapping on a used Kimber Pro Carry automatically makes the CCW holder an Avenging Samaritan of Righteousness.

The salient point is that you don’t know the context. When a thug pulls a gun on you it’s pretty clear what the context of the situation is , as you’re the target of the assault. When you come across a “situation” in progress it’s not like TV where the bad guy and good guys are obvious. In Real Life two people fighting aren’t going to pause and explain themselves.

Drawing a gun as a bystander and using deadly force when the context is NOT clear is a great was to get your ass in a legal and moral sling. I’ll probably get flack for this,but if I see an individual being assaulted I’m calling 911 and relaying what I see even if they’re in uniform or tactical gear; because witnesses and evidence are what keep bad guys behind bars.

I realize in this instance a uniformed officer was being assaulted here. But think of how tragic it would be if the “unformed cop” was an imposter being apprehended by a plainclothes LEO ; in which event she would have just killed a cop ,and would be facing criminal charges accordingly.

If I won’t park on a street in Chicago without being sure it’s legal, best believe my carry weapon stays holstered unless me and mine are being directly and immediately assaulted. A call to first responders is my default reaction to any other scenario .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

There really needs to be a national-level law against such lawsuits, when the circumstances are pretty black and white.

I don’t consider such behavior by the woman as in the story “playing hero” (though the act was heroic), it’s called being a decent human being.

There needs to be a significant push-back against this sort of punishment for those who defend the lives of others or even themselves. Or it won’t be long til we’re like the U.K. punishing citizens for defending themselves in very clear-cut situations like the recent one.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Not that the other commentaries here aren’t informative; yet,I believe the intent here is to curb the unfortunately commonplace attitude that strapping on a used Kimber Pro Carry automatically makes the CCW holder an Avenging Samaritan of Righteousness.

The salient point is that you don’t know the context. When a thug pulls a gun on you it’s pretty clear what the context of the situation is , as you’re the target of the assault. When you come across a “situation” in progress it’s not like TV where the bad guy and good guys are obvious. In Real Life two people fighting aren’t going to pause and explain themselves.

Drawing a gun as a bystander and using deadly force when the context is NOT clear is a great was to get your ass in a legal and moral sling. I’ll probably get flack for this,but if I see an individual being assaulted I’m calling 911 and relaying what I see even if they’re in uniform or tactical gear; because witnesses and evidence are what keep bad guys behind bars.

I realize in this instance a uniformed officer was being assaulted here. But think of how tragic it would be if the “unformed cop” was an imposter being apprehended by a plainclothes LEO ; in which event she would have just killed a cop ,and would be facing criminal charges accordingly.

If I won’t park on a street in Chicago without being sure it’s legal, best believe my carry weapon stays holstered unless me and mine are being directly and immediately assaulted. A call to first responders is my default reaction to any other scenario .
    i understand what you are saying but in my experience its fairly easy to tell the difference between a fight and a attack or assault

i dont care and wouldnt get involved with two guys banging it out...someone getting attacked robbed of assaulted is a different story, its not in me to let bad stuff just happen when i can stop it

last year at deer camp we had a long in depth discussion/argument about this subject and came to the conclusion that it boils down to two distinct thought processes

group one's default is to help unless there is a overriding reason not to
    group two's default is to not help unless there is a overriding reason to

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    i understand what you are saying but in my experience its fairly easy to tell the difference between a fight and a attack or assault

i dont care and wouldnt get involved with two guys banging it out...someone getting attacked robbed of assaulted is a different story, its not in me to let bad stuff just happen when i can stop it

last year at deer camp we had a long in depth discussion/argument about this subject and came to the conclusion that it boils down to two distinct thought processes

group one's default is to help unless there is a overriding reason not to
    group two's default is to not help unless there is a overriding reason to
    You must be doing something right. I was a street cop for a couple decades and it was surprising how many things that seemed fairly easy to figure out were not what they appeared in the end.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    You must be doing something right. I was a street cop for a couple decades and it was surprising how many things that seemed fairly easy to figure out were not what they appeared in the end.
    That’s because we are coming at from two different directions...two guys of similar age and size going toe to toe=fight to me and I can and will leave it alone without consequences, you couldn’t
    One person of disproportionate size/age/sex/strength beating on another = attack/assault and I feel comfortable in doing what I feel is right

My world is much simpler than yours was

That’s because we are coming at from two different directions...two guys of similar age and size going toe to toe=fight to me and I can and will leave it alone without consequences, you couldn’t
    One person of disproportionate size/age/sex/strength beating on another = attack/assault and I feel comfortable in doing what I feel is right

I ve been retired for ten years. I am just a normal dude these days. Your comment above about similar sized males versus size discrepancy tells me you are making things simple in your mind that are not that simple during actual incidents. The reality is that most people find with use of force stuff it is not remotely what they pictured in their mind when it actually happens, and things are rarely clear cut....even when they look clear cut on the surface.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Be careful with absolutes. The man fighting with the woman might be a vice cop making an arrest. A couple of guys kicking the crap out of one guy might be robbery victims who turned the tables on the robber. Even in a regular man-beating-woman domestic assault, intervening to “defend” the woman might result in her running to her lover’s defense. It’ll be tough to convince the responding officers what really happened when both parties tell them that you are some crazy dude that pulled a gun on the boyfriend for no reasons.

Unless you saw the entire context surrounding the use of force you’re witnessing, you don’t actually know who the good guys and bad guys are. Sometimes it’s simple if people are wearing uniforms. Most times it’s not.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List