Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should You Be The Hero?

Should You Be The Hero?

Read this article just a while ago on Greg Ellifritz' "Active Response Training" site.

In today’s world, being a hero often comes with a very costly price. This woman saw a criminal attempting to kill a police officer. She righteously shot and killed the criminal attacker to help the injured officer. She was not criminally charged and actually received a commendation for her selfless act.

None of that really matters in the end. She’s being sued by the estate of the criminal attacker. Guess who pays the legal fees for her defense? It isn’t the police department. It isn’t the cop she saved. It’s totally on her. Even if she wins in court, she’ll still have to pay upward of $100K in legal bills if the case drags on (like they always do).

I’m grateful for people who have the courage to help out in dire situations like this. I’m also fearful that they might not truly understand the negative consequences of their actions. Your gun is for you and your loved ones. It isn’t for a random stranger’s defense, even if that stranger is a cop. Before you pull that trigger, you need to ask yourself a hard question: “Is saving this person worth potentially a lifetime jail sentence or hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees?”
    Here's a link to the article he is basing his commentary on.

I understand Ellifrtiz' caution...but I don't think I could just turn my back on an officer in need if I had the means to intervene and save his or her life. Life is not without risk. I still think that we have to be able to live with ourselves and our decisions. Not sure how I'd feel about myself if I drove away knowing that I could have done something. (Actually, I think I do know how I'd feel about myself.)

Obviously, this is no matter to be taken lightly regardless of which side of the argument you'd support.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    My answer would vary based on location... TX vs NY, for example. London? It would take a very special set of circumstances to not walk the other way.
    I've wondered... If a passerby used a cricket bat to stop the scum who killed Lee Rigby, how much prison time would the passerby serve?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This sums up everything wrong with this world right now. Greg is sadly right because the world is sadly so wrong.

This will likely take some Good Samaritan legislation to fix. Remember the days when those same warnings came for people to not do CPR or help in medical emergencies. I remember the days of “never provide medical aid to anyone other than your immediate family”. The entire legal system needs a massive cleansing.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 04-18-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Thought provoking.

Thread linking to the to the Go fund me account started in General Discussion https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post731367

https://www.gofundme.com/kystie039s-best-defense
    Last edited by UNK; 04-18-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This sums up everything wrong with this world right now. Greg is sadly right because the world is sadly so wrong.

This will likely take some Good Samaritan legislation to fix. Remember the days when those same warnings came for people to not do CPR or help in medical emergencies. I remember the days of “never provide medical aid to anyone other than your immediate family”. The entire legal system needs a massive cleansing.
    You're right, DB...the world is upside down and inside out. Yet, knowing all this, despite my cynicism, when push comes to shove I find it extremely hard to turn my back on someone in grave danger. Especially someone who risks his or her life for society (such as it is).

Everyone will have to decide for themselves but I just can't imagine a scenario where I was out with you or Wayne or any of a number of others I have come to respect on this site, where we would turn our backs on an officer in need. God help us all when it comes to that.

Someone needs to answer the bell...despite the potential cost in dollars or in blood. I say this humbly, knowing that I am neither the biggest, the baddest nor the bravest. Nor the most capable, for that matter.
    Last edited by blues; 04-18-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My grandfather was a physician before the war. He kept a low profile in public because there were no Good Samaritain laws back then.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I was taught by my father and grandfather to always help in whatever way you are able, that was just part of being a “man.
    What you are capable of is different for everyone
    It’s sad to me that intervening in situations is now considered playing “hero” or “cop”, the way I was raised you didn’t get accolades for doing what you were supposed to.
    Last edited by wsr; 04-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I was taught by my father and grandfather to always help in whatever way you are able, that was just part of being a “man.
    What you are capable of is different for everyone
    It’s sad to me that intervening in situations is now considered playing “hero” or “cop”, the way I was raised you didn’t get accolades for doing what you were supposed to.
    That's the way I was raised as well. I guess the "old school" curriculum is considered out of date (by many).

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Greg is sadly right because the world is sadly so wrong.
    Laconic truth.

I couldn’t watch an officer’s obvious murder if I had the ability to prevent it. I’d just have to trust in the WA state law limiting civil liability if the plainftiff is injured/killed during the commission of a felony (assuming it’s still on the books...)

That’s a pretty good law, IMHO.

User Tag List