Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Basic Income (California...of course...)

Timely thread- I’m in Stockton this week to visit one of my terminals. It’s a rough, high crime area and most people in the office have been hit with some type of violence. I get what they are trying to do with UBI- don’t think it will work, but they have serious problems here that are hard to solve. It’s as dangerous as any city in America.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    What would happen if you give lots of people a bunch of free money?
    Prices would rise.

It's difficult to express in polite words how bad an idea this is.... On par with "common sense gun control".
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Finland to end basic income trial after two years | World news | The Guardian
    Notes: It's the Grauniad, and the "sample pool" was small enough not to qualify as UBI.
    "We should have had extra time and more money to achieve reliable results.”

Not a verdict on UBI, but man, have I heard that tune sung before. Just saying. #cliches

The point raised that if the government just give everyone more money, prices of goods and services will increase commensurately is an interesting one. I can’t think of a reason why that WOULDN’T be the case. Has there been any research on that? If the costs of goods and services increased to cancel out any increase in income from UBI, that would negate the whole premise.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    The point raised that if the government just give everyone more money, prices of goods and services will increase commensurately is an interesting one. I can’t think of a reason why that WOULDN’T be the case. Has there been any research on that? If the costs of goods and services increased to cancel out any increase in income from UBI, that would negate the whole premise.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    Healthcare?

If I'm a landlord and my tenants are suddenly getting an extra $500/month for doing nothing other than being poor, am I going to leave the rent unchanged?
    Anyone who reads this and thinks "Well, only a douche-bag would raise the rent" doesn't live in the real world.

What happened to housing prices when the government forced interest rates to remain artificially low for 10+ years?
    Give free money to home buyers, housing prices go up.

And so on..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Don't have time to listen to it and verify right now, but I think this is the one I want to post.

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Haven’t read the whole thing, but ya know, using this to replace all other benefit programs that hand out money would really streamline things and make keeping people honest easier. 1 source vs. many and all.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Haven’t read the whole thing, but ya know, using this to replace all other benefit programs that hand out money would really streamline things and make keeping people honest easier. 1 source vs. many and all.
    That's the reason many "on the right" support the idea. The same (or less!) amount of money would be being spent, it would just be more efficient.

Right. An efficient government welfare program.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-24-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I’m not going to get into if it’s the right or wrong thing to do - I hate politics vehemently. It’s a simple observation, no more, no less.

In my lifelong experience*, the old saw about poverty being a mental disease is very very true. You could give a lot of the poor people a million dollars, and they would manage to wind up in worse poverty with a multimillion dollar debt- check the experiences of the typical lotto winner.

A UBI might help a few get out of a rough patch, but I'm going to venture that most of those on the dole won't take advantage of this to better themselves. Why should they? All the assistance and free stuff they've been given in the past hasn't helped either.

*I've been around poverty, and have worked for and with various public and private programs to end poverty my whole entire life. I've got a large number of friends, acquaintances, and relatives that are super poor despite all help.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List