Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reverting to training

Just to be clear, my point is training is good, especially if it is quality training.

Getting more training and practice is better.

Even though you will not likely perform the way you did in training or practice, you will probably perform infinitely better than you would without it.

I just happen to have this picture to show someone who did not shoot the way he was trained after a good day and a half of training when he was put in an unfamiliar situation.

Banned
    When I was in the Army they trained us to do every thing by the numbers, I mean we had a crew drill for taking a crap and we practiced it over and over and over and over until we could literally do it in our sleep.

What I found out though is when we were doing it for real we did exactly what we were taught in training right down to holding the powder charge up in front of the section chief and saying “Charge 7 Whitebag” loading the charge behind the shell and actually saying ”I see red to the rear”

Where I work is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. So I used to walk around the fence at night and practice my 4 count draw by the numbers all night long (no one there to see me nothing around to make it unsafe why not?) 1, 2, 3, 4 reholster , 1, 2, 3, 4 reholster, 1, 2, 3, 4 reholster all night long.

So one night I’m walking along the fence and I startled (I think) an antelope that was bedded down inside the fence. The thing jumped up, ran right in front of me, cleared the fence and took off.

Part of the reason I think it was an antelope is because a human couldn’t have cleared that 8 foot fence with that short of a run up.

Anyway it wasn’t until after the antelope was gone that I realized I had my gun in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Anyway it wasn’t until after the antelope was gone that I realized I had my gun in my hand.
    And here is a perfect example of the training taking hold and doing what it is supposed to.

It depends on the persons overall level of competency at any particular skill set. If you are only consciously competent, you will be able to rely on training only to a certain extent, and this is the training of a particular skill set, as the example drawing the weapon, and using the sights. The outside factors, such as the stress of the situation, will significantly influence this person who requires substantial conscious effort to remember to complete the base skills for positive results.

Those who have trained to a level of unconscious competence, or beyond, can rely on the subconscious to perform the sub-routines, ie. draw, sight alignment, sight picture, etc., while our conscious mind is taking in information, making decisions, and acting on them. Of course assessing and response with a tactic is another issue as in how well trained the individual is in regards to applying tactics.

I will also add that you must include training that simulates as realistically as possible a stress situation, physical and mental, i.e. force on force, or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    It depends on the persons overall level of competency at any particular skill set. If you are only consciously competent, you will be able to rely on training only to a certain extent, and this is the training of a particular skill set, as the example drawing the weapon, and using the sights. The outside factors, such as the stress of the situation, will significantly influence this person who requires substantial conscious effort to remember to complete the base skills for positive results.

Those who have trained to a level of unconscious competence, or beyond, can rely on the subconscious to perform the sub-routines, ie. draw, sight alignment, sight picture, etc., while our conscious mind is taking in information, making decisions, and acting on them. Of course assessing and response with a tactic is another issue as in how well trained the individual is in regards to applying tactics.

I will also add that you must include training that simulates as realistically as possible a stress situation, physical and mental, i.e. force on force, or similar.
    Somewhat unexpected force on force is often incredibly eye-opening. I wish it was easier to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Somewhat unexpected force on force is often incredibly eye-opening. I wish it was easier to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. When we get up to speed with our groups, we hope to head in this direction. If interest continues, maybe we can get some of the other combative experts out our way to put on a class and introduce them to our groups. It has been discussed in the past and I know I can get them out our way. Hope you're healed up by then and still here.

User Tag List