Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reverting to training

reverting to training

it comes up on a pretty regular bases about training and how when SHTF one will act/respond with how they train. We have all heard about LEO's who have been in gun fights and have picked up their brass like when they train,ect. so my question is what do you do or not do when training, so when the time comes and we all hope it never does your training doesn't get you killed. For example I watch a video of an instructor shooting a drill that forgot to put a round in the chamber, when he pulling the trigger, click. He quickly ran the slide and then shot the drill, would it be a good idea when training if you get a click to slap rack and roll every time.
    A pilot once said plan your flight then fly your plan. meaning know what you are going to do before you do it, so if my plan is to do XYZ do I want to train doing WXYZ if my plan doesn't include the W. Hope I made my question clearer than mud.
    Looking forward to your thoughts

Speed re-holstering. There’s never a need or reason to do it. I think this applies not just to live fire but also dry fire. I’ve caught myself a few times skipping a step in the holster process in live fire and it’s always scared the crap out of me once I realized I forgot to look the gun into a holster. It’s so easy to want to bang out as many reps as possible in 10 mins of dry fire but that translates into mistakes. If the bad guy doesn’t kill me I do not want to finish what he started by ND into my leg.

Site Supporter
    When I shot a lot of 1911, I'd engage the safety at the end of a string of fire. Got to the point where during some matches the finger off the trigger meant the safety was going up.

More than a few times it meant if my feet were moving a mag change was happening too...even if it did not need to happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Speed re-holstering. There’s never a need or reason to do it. I think this applies not just to live fire but also dry fire. I’ve caught myself a few times skipping a step in the holster process in live fire and it’s always scared the crap out of me once I realized I forgot to look the gun into a holster. It’s so easy to want to bang out as many reps as possible in 10 mins of dry fire but that translates into mistakes. If the bad guy doesn’t kill me I do not want to finish what he started by ND into my leg.
    Draw quickly, shoot carefully , reholster reluctantly......

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Draw quickly, shoot carefully , reholster reluctantly......
    Seems like I've heard that somewhere before

I've reholstered quickly a few times out of necessity. It was a drop leg though. I don't think reholstering slowly is a solid blanket rule, especially if you have a primary. I do get the point about reluctantly in a gun fight where you're depending on your CCW. But if you have a primary and secondary, then you might have to.

As far as reverting to training I've found that bad training causes bad results. But you have to train, and train regularly. When I don't get to run my personal weapons I prefer vs what the Government issues me, I find sometimes depending on the weapon.... I have to start very slow and get reacquainted. Or running certain drills with certain rigs. Especially my concealed carry rig. I have to run that a bunch when I get back to get back into the swing of reloading from that particular location/carrier. Some training sticks just fine, other training needs constant practice. Depends on what it is.

Site Supporter
    We began authorizing pistol-mounted lights several years ago when we issued SigSauer pistols. I probably trained more with the pistol and light more than most. I noticed turning the light off by hitting the rocker switch made it easy to believe one had decocked the pistol when it was still in single action. We have since transitioned to the FNS-9. If we still had SigSauer and I were still involved in firearms training, I'd try to figure out a way around that training scar.

It’s one of those phrases which often comes up... the prediction that one will “default” or “revert” to their level of training in a lethal force encounter.

It’s always presented as sage wisdom - but is it true?

As a slick one once said, it all depends on the definition of “is”.

If you attend a three day shooting class, will you default to that which you learned in your three day class?

This is where we get into wink-and-nod territory.

“You know what I mean.”

I’d submit that a more practical viewpoint may be:

We won’t rise to the level of our expectations, we’ll default to the level of our experience.

In order for you to revert to your training. your training would have to be sufficient in terms of time spent on it, repetitions, mental programming etc.

Below is a picture taken of someone in a shoothouse after completing a shooting class in about 1987.

The background of the shooter: he spent a year with the NYPD then went into high level private security. The class was a two day class that taught the Weaver method and nothing else. (nothing against the weaver). It was a pretty comprehensive class. On the second day a hat was placed in front of your face and you were led to a shooting stage that you had never seen and was given minimal information about. Your gun was holstered and loaded. To increase the stress, the person leading you there provided you a scenario in a fast talking manner that you could not even follow. You were brought in front of the door of the shoothouse and the hat was removed and you had to deal with the situation, with the instructions that you were not to go inside since it was not set up as a shoothouse with walls that can absorb rounds.

So suddenly the hat was removed from in front of your face and you were confronted by a bunch of targets that were drawings of armed hostiles.

Notice the person's shooting stance. This was not something that was ever taught in the class. BTW, I don't believe shooting from doorways and such was discussed, I know it was not covered doing any live fire.

Name:  shoothouse.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  94.4 KB

Notice that he did not bring the gun to eye level or employ aimed fire, though the training was exclusively in aimed fire.

My point is that you training has to be realistic, sufficient in terms of repetitions and time, and mental programming in order to you to revert to this.

My thought regarding this shooter in the picture is the experience of not reverting to his training and not using aimed fire--or at least bringing the gun up to eye level where even if he wasn't using the sights he would have been able to shoot more accurately than firing from waist level provided him a memorable experience that could help him perform better in the future.
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-21-2018 at 09:59 PM.

He reverted to his level of experience.

User Tag List