Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: FBI dropping Gold Dot G2?

The other thing people sometimes forget is budget. If a bullet is the same in terms of performance and costs a bit less, that’s a huge savings for a large agency.

bringing this back around to Gold Dot G2s...

I've never been to a LE gel test seminar. I've only seen the homebrew gel tests that hobbyist gun nerds put on the Internet. And in those tests, Gold Dot G2s are found to be sorely lacking out of compact pistol barrels. Is there other data out there I've missed?

I should note that the forum darling (and my new favorite carry pistol) PX4CC has a barrel length roughly the same as a 1.0 M&P9c, so performance out of a subcompact pistol is relevant to many of us. It would certainly affect my decision to pick up some G2s on the cheap.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 04-25-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If the mods here weren’t shit, they would have posted this days ago.

Also, let’s not take shots at other forums.
    The mods here mean well.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Apparently, the new approved offering is a the 135 gr +P Hornady Critical Defense.

Generally, there are at least two offerings in "duty ammo" on the contract. I suspect that the G2 will remain an option for those field offices who prefer it. I doubt the G2 will be "dropped" but there will be another option. My experience is that whichever offering is cheaper will be purchased.

https://t.e2ma.net/message/w0bmcb/knx81f

ETA: I think that Hornady has had a product code on the contract for a frangible load for at least a year. In case anyone cares.....
    Last edited by John Hearne; 04-26-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Well that's surprising. Hornady came out for a gel shoot last month and I'm pretty sure the rep said that 124+p was in the running for the FBI contract not 135. He said that the bureau wanted a load that performed well out of both duty and short length barrels, unlike G2 and especially 135+p Critical Duty.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Apparently, the new approved offering is a the 135 gr +P Hornady Critical Defense.

Generally, there are at least two offerings in "duty ammo" on the contract. I suspect that the G2 will remain an option for those field offices who prefer it. I doubt the G2 will be "dropped" but there will be another option. My experience is that whichever offering is cheaper will be purchased.

https://t.e2ma.net/message/w0bmcb/knx81f

ETA: I think that Hornady has had a product code on the contract for a frangible load for at least a year. In case anyone cares.....
    It is my understanding that the G2 will be totally dropped.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I haven't personally shot any gel blocks or plasma sacks with it, but I've seen the 165gr Critical Defense load tune up the accuracy of a 96D most impressively, and heard the same reported for at least one other .40 pistol, though I don't know the model.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It is my understanding that the G2 will be totally dropped.
    That's a PR hit for Speer.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's a PR hit for Speer.
    Maybe a little bit it seems like the cycle of life. Before G2 they used Ranger 147gr. Before that they used regular 147gr Gold Dots. I’ve seen them go back and forth with GD’s and Ranger with 40 caliber as well. I chalk it up to ops normal.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Maybe a little bit it seems like the cycle of life. Before G2 they used Ranger 147gr. Before that they used regular 147gr Gold Dots. I’ve seen them go back and forth with GD’s and Ranger with 40 caliber as well. I chalk it up to ops normal.
    Sure, except they just adopted the G2. The fact it's happening so quickly after adoption is what's suspicious and alarming. G2 is still so new that Speer is still pumping it out excusively for unfulfilled LE contracts at this point....they haven't even reached a point of saturation where they can sell it to the commercial market.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List