Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI dropping Gold Dot G2?

FBI dropping Gold Dot G2?

A friend sent me a link to a thread on ar15.com about this. There's no link to a news article or anything. So far it is just a post from a guy who "heard a rumor."

Anyone have any real info one way or another? If true I don't imagine anyone will be terribly shocked. G2 does not appear to offer much of anything over regular Gold Dot and may actually be a little worse in some regards. We'll see I guess....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I would regard anything coming from Barfcom as the rankest form of vile heresy and proceed accordingly. I've always recommended a bath after visiting that hive of derp-ery.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I would regard anything coming from Barfcom as the rankest form of vile heresy and proceed accordingly. I've always recommended a bath after visiting that hive of derp-ery.
    You definitely have to separate the wheat from the chaff over there.

I wonder if the OP isn't getting confused by this:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...cal-duty-ammo/

Probably the Hornday adoption announcement for .40S&W. Speer has been having trouble engineering the G2 to work well in the .40 and .45, so not a viable .40 option for the FBI.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

I'm under the impression that the FBI was/is transitioning over to 9mm pistols from their current 40 caliber guns. The American Riflemen link is referencing a new 40 cal duty load. I am assuming that the 40 cal load referenced in the article is for any remaining current 40 cal guns currently in their inventory and fielded? Just because the FBI is adopting a 40 cal Hornady Critical Duty load doesn't mean they're dropping the 9mm G2 as a duty round for their 9mm's. I'm sure that there might be some 40 cal guns still in their inventory that they would need a duty round for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Stop sugar coating it, and tell us how you REALLY feel about the place.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I'm under the impression that the FBI was/is transitioning over to 9mm pistols from their current 40 caliber guns. The American Riflemen link is referencing a new 40 cal duty load. I am assuming that the 40 cal load referenced in the article is for any remaining current 40 cal guns currently in their inventory and fielded? Just because the FBI is adopting a 40 cal Hornady Critical Duty load doesn't mean they're dropping the 9mm G2 as a duty round for their 9mm's. I'm sure that there might be some 40 cal guns still in their inventory that they would need a duty round for.
    There are LOTS of .40's still around. There are only two agents at our local FBI office with 19M's/9mm's. One is a SWAT agent, and the other agent finally had to give up her old Sig, and it was replaced with a 19M.

I have to go out to their office this afternoon for a meeting, I will ask around.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    There are LOTS of .40's still around. There are only two agents at our local FBI office with 19M's/9mm's. One is a SWAT agent, and the other agent finally had to give up her old Sig, and it was replaced with a 19M.

I have to go out to their office this afternoon for a meeting, I will ask around.
    Due to budget, logistics and scale, the full transition to the 19M as an issue weapon will take a few years. There and many .40 and .45 caliber POWs in use and even if no new 40 POW are authorized they will be around for some time just like the currently grandfathered .45's.

I was in a FBI Patrol Rifle Instructor class last week. Nothing is official yet but they have identified another load that outperforms the G2. IIRC, they are trying to finalize a contract before any announcements are made.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A friend sent me a link to a thread on ar15.com about this. There's no link to a news article or anything. So far it is just a post from a guy who "heard a rumor."

Anyone have any real info one way or another? If true I don't imagine anyone will be terribly shocked. G2 does not appear to offer much of anything over regular Gold Dot and may actually be a little worse in some regards. We'll see I guess....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    G2 is a much better performer than gold dot in several areas, the most important one being consistency of performance, I.e. extremely low standard deviation regardless of what intermediate barrier it passes through first.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.

User Tag List