Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI dropping Gold Dot G2?

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Gotcha. I need to attend an “instructor level” class over the next 2 years (before I retire) to maintain my NRA instructor credentials. I’m thinking that one of these classes would suffice.
    If you watch FLETC's page, they sometimes have free firearms instructor courses, but they have plenty of free Active Shooter and Tac Med instructor classes. Both are very well done.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The FBI out of Birmingham offers a lot of training. They had a female special agent who recently retired with well over 30 years of service. Her mentor told her one of the missions of the FBI was to train; so, she kept that alive, and it appears at least for now that they are carrying on with it.
    Assistance to State and Local LE is one of the 7 core missions of the FBI. This includes training.

This is a technical forum, so let's knock off the insult flinging.
    #RESIST

Last edited by ASH556; 04-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

<oops>
    Last edited by Zhukov; 04-24-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    Daddy loves you. Now go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Exactly.

Holes in hearts, spines and brains are holes in hearts spines and brains.....no matter what makes them. So less time spent worrying about ammo performance and more time spent working on human performance will get you much farther than a new "magic bullet" will.....
    There's just as much fallacy in saying, "the best gear/ammo/equipment in the world won't save you if you're not trained enough to use it" as there is in saying, "the best training in the world won't save you if you're equipment/ammo/gear isn't able to function/perform when needed." Do both. A better bullet is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    There's just as much fallacy in saying, "the best gear/ammo/equipment in the world won't save you if you're not trained enough to use it" as there is in saying, "the best training in the world won't save you if you're equipment/ammo/gear isn't able to function/perform when needed." Do both. A better bullet is better.
    A better bullet is only better if it hits the intended target.... and how MUCH better is even relevant? How do we quantify "better" between 2 bullets that expand to 1.5 times their initial diameter and penetrate to 13" ? Again the performance is so close that the determining factor far more times than not is how well they were delivered.

As I mentioned before...pick something with acceptable performance (ideally IWBA compliant) that work in YOUR gun, and is accurate in YOUR gun and then stop worrrying about it and train to be able to deliver them as fast and as accurately as you can. How can anyone disagree with that? At some point we are arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Now if G2 (or whatever) does not feed in your gun then that decision makes itself...find something new. But if it functions reliably and is accurate enough for your intended purposes there is only so much a service caliber handgun bullet can do. Whether we like it or not the placement trumps the particulars of the bullet when handguns are involved. I'm not saying we should not use "good" ammo . I'm saying that I see far more people who cannot deliver them where they need to go than I see ammo that would not be effective if it got there.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 04-25-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think that if we were to quantify the factors leading to success in a defensive shooting, the ammo selected probably accounts for less than 5% of whether we succeed or fail. Things like mental conditioning, marksmanship, tactics, movement, cover, etc. are all more important. It's only when we have somebody that can use that ammo performance with guaranteed placement that ammo choices make significant differences.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

But since we are in an ammunition forum it makes more sense to talk about ammunition, and discuss tactics and such in a "tactics and such forum".
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

For half the year, my normal order of priority is obsessing over software skills, followed by picking hardware, followed by picking holsters, followed by ammo choice. Ammo being particularly boring, as in pick Gold Dot 124+P or 147 HST. In the summer, mu priority flips to obsessing over ammo, focusing on a bullet that will penetrate a bear’s skull, followed by what platform will launch it reliably, and then how do I carry that pistol/ammo combo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List