Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: FBI dropping Gold Dot G2?

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...man-gdhp-54226 <----- are these contract rejects? How do you tell if they are?
    I’ve posted a few times that the recalled ammo had nickel/silver colored primers. The new good ammo has gold colored primers.

The recalled ammo should also be in boxes like this - labeled as training only.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/Speer-L...rds_p_906.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I don't think Randy is saying it doesn't matter, just that maybe too much attention is paid to minutiae by individual shooters in this area. Folks whose job it is to be concerned about this have to dive deep, and we're all gun geeks here. Agency armorer's and ammo designers should always be striving to improve and field the best stuff. But none of us are ill served by any of the good high quality stuff from Federal, Winchester, Speer, Etc. A current Tier 1 guy told a coworker of mine, "You know what the real difference is between .40 and 9mm? Nothing. Shoot 'em in the face." Obviously a simplification, but the point is valid. Yes, they're not mutually exclusive, but how much we devote to this can be a problem.
    This was never better illustrated than by the shooting in Florida involving Jared Reston, a Sheriffs Deputy in Jacksonville. He's attempting to arrest a guy who then pulls out a G21 and shoots him in the mouth. Jared returns fire. Both are trading shots with major league calibers and both are taking hits neither of which are being stopped. Jared finally grabs the BG by the collar IRRC as the BG is closing in for the kill shot and shoots him in the head which ends the fight. Permanently. Point is he didn't need a 40 to do that, he could have accomplished the same thing with a 9. BTW, Jared now carries a G19. If you haven't heard about this (which most of you probably have), Google it, it's quite a story.

FWIW, it appear to be that the new Hornady round is not replacing G2, but merely supplementing it, and that the FBI had some sort of contract allotment overrun and cannot order any more Speer for the time being.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW, it appear to be that the new Hornady round is not replacing G2, but merely supplementing it, and that the FBI had some sort of contract allotment overrun and cannot order any more Speer for the time being.
    That doesn’t jive with what I was told but federal contracts are often an enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That doesn’t jive with what I was told but federal contracts are often an enigma.
    FWIW, my information is based off of comments made by Steve Fisher:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fisher
    When you go over you’re contract allotment with one maker and need more

It’s simple folks
    G2speer
    Hornady
    Federal
    All in the system
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSPr...59204920792667

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bos
    The G2 is ultimately better, but as Steve Fisher said, contract issues/laws dictate certain things and the FBI ran over its contract last year with Speer for G2. It was taken off of the FBI contract last year. Hornady, Winchester, etc we’re still on it as they had not hit the ceiling on purchase. Winchester 147gr bonded is still on the contract this year. Because the contract was full we had to go open source and do three bids to be able to purchase the G2. The Critical duty will perform just fine for them, but the reasons for the change are not transparent to the public. In fact there are various factions in my agency that love the critical duty and others that love the G2.
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSPr...59469967432829
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-03-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Noticed that SOCOM was adopting Speer G2...

Soldier Systems: USSOCOM Small Arms Modernization Update

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    This is as I understand. The Feds always do this. The second fiddle always plays it up big, too, even if they never fulfill any orders, they like being proud of an allowed alternative.

User Tag List